Police Beat: March 4

Not impaired but still illegal

A UAPD officer was driving north on Park Avenue heading toward Second Street when he saw a silver jeep drive through a stop sign, pass through a crosswalk and continue through the intersection of Park Avenue and Second Street without stopping.

The officer pulled the car over and identified the driver by a California driver’s license. He could smell alcohol coming from the car and asked both the driver and the passenger if they had been drinking.

The driver said he had not had anything to drink and the passenger said he had been drinking.

When the officer asked if he knew why he was being pulled over, the man said, “”Yeah, the stop sign.”” He said he had reached down to change a song on his iPod and did not notice the stop sign until his friend had told him he “”blew it.””

The officer asked the man to step out of the car and could smell alcohol on his breath. When the man was asked to complete a few tests to see if he had been drinking, he said he was sorry for not being honest earlier. The man told the officer he had a few glasses of wine at a banquet for his fraternity and knew he was okay to drive.

After performing field sobriety tests, the officer determined that the driver had alcohol in his system but was not impaired.

The man was arrested for driving while under 21 with liquor in body, minor in possession in body and failure to stop at a stop sign. He was also referred to the Dean of Students.

The vehicle was towed and impounded.

Threatening calls to Coronado

A Coronado Residence Hall resident called UAPD on Sunday at 11:45 p.m. to report threatening phone calls she received that night.

The woman told the officer she received three calls from a restricted number at 9:31 p.m., 9:48 p.m. and 9:50 p.m. During the first and last phone call she did not hear anything.

On the second phone call, she said she heard a man say her name and say, “”I know where you are. I’m watching you. You better watch your back.”” The woman also said he repeatedly called her “”bitch.””

The woman told the officer she did not recognize the voice but thought he was college-aged. The woman also reported lot of background noise during the calls, but she could not tell if it was music or other voices.

The woman said the phone call made her nervous because of personal information he knew about her and her daily life.

The student stated she had not been in any altercations with others and did not know who would threaten her.

Victim’s rights were given to the woman and she said she will decide whether to press charges if the caller is found.

‘Roach’ in ashtray

A UAPD officer pulled over a car with both headlights out Sunday at 8:28 p.m. on Sixth Street.

The officer pulled the car over at Sixth Street and Campbell Avenue in the Sam Hughes parking lot. The officer could immediately smell burning marijuana coming from the car.

The man was identified by his Arizona driver’s licenses and sat on the curb as the officer searched the car.

The officer found a small piece of the end of a joint in the center console ashtray. There were also two rolling papers in the console.

The man told the officer there was a “”roach”” in the ashtray shortly after the officer found the piece of the joint.

The man was criminally charged with possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was cited and then driven to his brother’s house.

The man’s car was left in the parking lot and the joint and rolling papers were entered into property as evidence. The marijuana was submitted for testing.