UApresents announces next year’s offerings

UApresents officials announced next year’s program last night, which will not include any Broadway shows because of financial problems and difficulty competing in the Tucson market, officials said.

The 2006-2007 program, which includes JosǸ Feliciano, Cirque Dreams, the National Philharmonic of Russia and the East Village Opera Company, was unveiled last night in Centennial Hall after a performance by the local pyrotechnic theater troupe Flam Chen.

UApresents Executive Director Natalie Bohnet said the university knows about the financial situation of UApresents, and she has been put in charge of being “”fiscally responsible.””

“”Tucson is not big enough to sustain two Broadway companies,”” Bohnet said. “”But that doesn’t mean a show won’t be added at a later time.””

The second company, Broadway in Tucson, puts on shows at Tucson Music Hall.

There are a lot of other shows for students to get excited about, said Mario di Vetta, UApresents marketing and publicity associate.

“”One of the shows I pushed for was the East Village Opera Company,”” said di Vetta. “”If you went to a concert and didn’t know it was opera, you’d think you were at a rock concert.””

The group plays opera classics, but with electric guitars, Bohnet said.

“”Imagine ‘Rent’ doing opera,”” she said.

Di Vetta said he hopes the new Adventure Series, which includes the East Village Opera Company and “”Stomp””-like group “”Phonk!”” will draw students.

“”It’s something to help people out and bring them to something they normally wouldn’t see,”” di Vetta said of the series.

UApresents is also trying to market to students through venues like MySpace and Facebook, he said.

To further integrate UA students in programs, UApresents approached professor Jackson Boelts and his Experimental Illustration class and held a contest to design the new program cover.

The winning illustration, by fine arts senior Drew Manusharow, was unveiled on a giant banner onstage and emblazoned on the programs passed out to subscription holders in attendance.

Manusharow said he wanted to draw something that more reflected the spirit of Tucson.

“”I thought a collage would be best, and I used all different sources of colors and backgrounds as one illustration, which is what the UA represents,”” Manusharow said.

The 14 other illustrations submitted will be displayed in the lobby of Centennial Hall starting at the season’s beginning, Bohnet said.

JosǸ Feliciano and Sextet will open the season Oct. 6.

Subscription holders can purchase new subscription for the upcoming season starting today at 9 a.m. They go on sale to the general public May 15, and individual tickets will be available starting June 12.