September frat shooting still under investigation

Police are waiting for lab reports to finalize the investigation of a shooting at Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house, 1535 E. First St., on the morning of Sept. 9, police said.

The University of Arizona Police Department is waiting for ballistic and DNA evidence to be processed, said UAPD Detective Filbert Barrera.

Investigations often take between three months and a year to be completed. Barrera expects that this investigation will take about a month longer to close.

The shooting occurred shortly after 1 a.m. after an exchange between fraternity members and two teenage males in the drive-through at Taco Bell, 1818 E. Speedway Blvd. The shooting took place in front of the Phi Gamma Delta house, where a group of people were gathered.

A female student was shot in the torso during the incident.

Two teenage males, Robert Ramos, 18, and Edward Morgan, 17, are being held in Pima County Jail on $200,000 and $100,000 bond, respectively.

Ramos and Morgan are each charged with seven counts of endangerment, aggravated assault and assault with a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument and two counts for drive-by shooting and unlawful flight from a police vehicle. Morgan is being charged with two counts of aggravated assault, and Ramos is only being held on one.

Pat Trimble, president of Phi Gamma Delta and an accounting senior, said some of the fraternity members who were at the house during the time of the shooting were shaken up but are moving forward.

“”We did nothing to instigate this,”” Trimble said. “”The police are not investigating any of the members.””

Trimble said some of the fraternity members were called into police interviews for information concerning Morgan and Ramos. The members have been compliant and helpful with the investigation, Barrera said.

Phi Gamma Delta members have been told to be more careful when they are out at night and to avoid congregating in front of the house, Trimble said.

The Dean of Students Office is not investigating the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity in association with the event. Veda Kowalski, associate dean of students, said the students were not targets.

“”It was a random act,”” Kowalski said. “”This was not something that could be prevented.””