People

Annual telethon fund-raising record surpassed again

LAS VEGAS – Jerry Lewis raised a record $65 million for the Muscular Dystrophy Association in his annual Labor Day telethon, a benefit that also made a pitch for those inconvenienced by Hurricane Gustav.

This year’s 22-hour telethon added a special plea for MDA-registered families forced to leave their homes because of the hurricane.

The 2008 haul for the 43rd annual fundraising blitz was $1.2 million more than last year’s total.

“”Each year I tell myself, ‘This has got to be it. There’s no way we can do better.’ Then, the following year, I’m astounded to see that generosity driven by love and compassion has a greater capacity than I thought possible,”” Lewis said.

Guitar icon to be inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

CLEVELAND – The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame will pay tribute to the “”father of the electric guitar”” this fall.

Les Paul will be honored at the annual American Music Masters series, a week-long event that begins Nov. 10, Rock Hall officials said Tuesday.

“”You have an inductee who in some ways maybe has had one of the biggest influences of all our inductees with the creation of his solid-body guitar, overdubbing … not to mention his musical styling and his ability to play,”” Stewart said.

In 1952, Gibson introduced the Les Paul model, which became the instrument of choice for many famous musicians.

Lohan: Focus on candidate, not candidate’s daughter

NEW YORK – Lindsay Lohan is getting political.

The 22-year-old actress took to her MySpace blog Tuesday to post her thoughts on Republican John McCain’s running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, and the revelation that Palin’s unmarried 17-year-old daughter is pregnant.

“”I’ve been watching the news all morning, like everyone else – and (I) keep hearing about the issues related to ‘teen pregnancy.’ … Well, I think the real problem comes from the fact that we are taking the focus off of getting to know Sarah Palin and her political views, and what she can do to make our country a less destructive place,”” Lohan wrote.

Lohan suggested Palin “”focus on delivering some words and policy with stronger impact like Joe Biden.””

Celebrity Birthdays

Al Jardine (of the Beach Boys) is 66. Steve Jones (guitarist of the Sex Pistols) is 53. Charlie Sheen (actor) is 43. Jennifer Paige (singer) is 35.

-The Associated Press