UA to host Swine Flu vaccination clinic

Lisa Beth Earle / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Nurses Alberta Hopkins and Cecilia Martinez prepare H1N1 shots at El Portal Residence Hall on Wednesday, Nov. 4. The shots were only administered to high risk people because Campus Health received a limited amount.
Lisa Beth Earle
Lisa Beth Earle / Arizona Daily Wildcat Nurses Alberta Hopkins and Cecilia Martinez prepare H1N1 shots at El Portal Residence Hall on Wednesday, Nov. 4. The shots were only administered to high risk people because Campus Health received a limited amount.

Campus Health Services will host an H1N1 flu vaccination clinic today at Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall targeting those who are at the greatest risk for complications from the flu.

According to the Campus Health Web site, any student who lives in the residence hall is able to get the vaccination. However, due to limited supplies, the clinic will prioritize those who are in the 18-and-younger risk group.

Students who live off-campus are also able to get vaccinated at Arizona-Sonora if they fit into a high-risk category, said Terri West, a spokesperson for Campus Health.

Students considered a risk priority are those who are 19-24 years old with a high-risk medical condition such as diabetes, a physical disability or pregnancy, along with those who live with or care for children younger than six months of age, West said.

Campus Health, like medical facilities all over the nation, is experiencing a vaccine shortage, she said.

“”We’re hoping to get more vaccines. We placed an order for something like 5,000, but we haven’t got nearly that much coming,”” West said. “”We had a little bit last week, so that’s what we’re trying to use now.””

West said Campus Health will try and have a clinic open to all of campus. She recommends that students go onto the Campus Health Web site to check for updates on when future vaccine clinics will be held.

“”They’re going to do (a clinic) on the Mall, but that will be posted,”” she said.

If you go:

What: H1N1 vaccine clinic

Where: Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall

Who: Provided by Campus Health Services and open to all students living in residence halls

When: 4 p.m. – 6 p.m.