Delicate works of art were mastered by Salerno-Sonnenberg and McDermott

On January 29 at Centennial Hall, acclaimed violinist Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg was accompanied by pianist, Anne-Marie McDermott in a performance that was dully awarded a standing ovation.

The concert began with the sounds of McDermott on the piano. She was able to draw the listener’s attention by playing a slow springtime piece. When Salerno-Sonnenberg joined in on the violin, it was as if the violin was singing along to the piano, creating a soft, yet almost fluttery piece. The sound quickly changed to a faster pace along with a quick, light-hearted feel. The piece was entertaining and there wasn’t a lot of repetition of sounds. Just when I thought it was over, the music started again, but this time with more energy than before. There were also times when the piano would begin almost timidly, while the violin came in strong and quick, overpowering the piano’s more timid approach to the piece.

A sharp contrast in what the audience heard and what the audience was about to hear began when the piano would somberly move along with the low strings of the violin. The piece reflected the musicians’ diversity as artists, as well as humans.

The sounds blended together during the concert as if there was a connection between the violin and piano, musician and listener.

Watching them both perform, the viewer noticed that the musicians were dancing in their own minds along with the music, lowering their bodies and heads and then suddenly rising them with the music. Salerno-Sonnenberg couldn’t help but express the music on her face.

Both musicians’ fingers seemed to dance upon their instrument. Salerno-Sonnenberg’s fingers moved with precession and speed, while McDermott’s fingers seemed to jump off the piano keys as if electrocuted by the vibrant sounds of the piano.

“”Salerno-Sonnenberg is a very talented musician with the ability to entertain her audience with the music she creates and how she carries herself as a musician,”” said Lydia Cox, who attended the performance.

The second half of the concert was a change in pace. The music sounded like a game of cat and mouse. The musicians played back and forth between them creating extremely short sounds. The piano and violin were also able to create a bee buzzing sound, which led to a sort of climax from both, then released into sounds that are both lower and darker than what the audience heard before. The end of each piece had the ability to lull you to a relaxed state of mind, yet there was also a balance between the two musicians while they created longer notes and echoes.

With all the qualities of this enjoyable concert, it is no wonder they received a standing ovation from Tucson’s audience.