Taylor Lautner rumored for “The Expendables 2”

It appears a sequel to 2010’s Sylvester Stallone-directed “The Expendables” is a go, though so far the only official information we have about the film is that most of the cast (minus Jet Li) will be reprising its role from the original, Simon West (Con Air, Tomb Raider) is slated to direct, and the screenplay was co-written by the guy who penned Muppets from Space (not kidding, look it up!).

But this week, the New York Post (and everyone else, for that matter) is reporting that the producers have compiled a “wish-list” of names to pursue for the sequel, ranging from obvious choices like Jean-Claude Van Damme, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Nic Cage, and Chuck Norris, to less obvious ones, like Taylor Lautner.

The good news is that, for now, the rumor is just that. While no official offer has been extended to Lautner as of yet, it’s projected that Lionsgate may be looking to capitalize on the young actor’s foray into action with September’s “Abduction,” which is all but guaranteed to decisively suck.

“Expendables 2” starts shooting later this year. The official synopsis (via financier Nu Image) is as follows:

“The Expendables are back and this time it’s personal! After Tool (Mickey Rourke), the heart and soul of the Expendables, is brutally murdered on a mission, his comrades swear to avenge him. They’re not the only ones who want blood. Tool’s beautiful young and wild daughter Fiona embarks on her own revenge mission, complicating matters when she is captured and ransomed by a ruthless dictator plotting to destroy a resistance movement. Now, Barney and the Expendables must risk everything to save her and humanity.”

So what role do you see Lautner playing in this? A new member of the Expendables? The “ruthless” dictator? Mickey Rourke’s daughter? Guess we’ll find out in a year; “Expendables 2” hits theaters August 2012.