“A cold, creamy alternative”

Ashlee Salamon/ Arizona Daily Wildcat
    Ashlee Salamon
    Ashlee Salamon/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Frozen yogurt. Lately, these lower calorie frozen treat eateries have been popping up everywhere, catering to a new hip, mix-it-your-way kind of crowd. Not only is frozen yogurt super delicious, but it’s also way better for you than regular ice cream. (Take that, Cold Stone!)

Whether you’re a fro-yo connoisseur or just wanting to try it out, you should definitely give these places a whirl.

Fro-Yo

If you have a meal plan, you don’t have any excuse not to check out Fro-Yo, located just inside Cactus Grill in the Student Union Memorial Center. There may not be a ton of flavors, but they do offer daily flavors for a bit of variety. With toppings from fruit to granola to mix in, you can customize your treat just the way you like it — not to mention that their flavors are creamy and seem like a guilty pleasure.

Malibu Yogurt & Ice Cream

What was once Penguins, then Swirlz, is now Malibu Yogurt & Ice Cream, just a short walk away from campus on University Boulevard. Malibu is not on the ounce system, but instead has set prices and a funky atmosphere to hang out or study in. They also have tons of toppings, from fresh fruit to favorite cereals, you can get mixed right in to your cup of frozen yogurt-y goodness. Enjoy a couple of your favorite flavors with a bright green spoon. With plenty of flavors to choose from, you’re sure to find something you’ll like. 825 E. University Blvd.

BTO Self Serve Yogurt

Located just off Speedway Boulevard between Tucson Boulevard and Country Club Road is BTO (By The Ounce) – Self Serve Yogurt. There is always tons of variety with 16 flavors, and plenty of fruit and dry toppings to go around. Get as much frozen yogurt or as little as you want; it’s only 39 cents per ounce. BTO really does allow you to “”Swirl it Your Way.”” 2721 E. Speedway Blvd. 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Penguins Frozen Yogurt

Penguins’ mouth-watering menu changes weekly and they also offer gelato in addition to frozen yogurt. They have quite a few flavors to choose from and all of them are something you wouldn’t normally expect, such as maple or chocolate pecan. The flavors tend to change on a weekly basis and if you come across a favorite or have any ideas for a flavor, you can make your opinion known in their suggestion box. They offer moderate pricing and smaller sizes. 3175 N. Campbell Ave. 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day.

Cold Snap

If you’re either a very indecisive person or like things a little bit simpler, then Cold Snap may be the way to go. They offer only a few basic flavors in a Frost Gelato-like atmosphere. Their flavors definitely aren’t the best out there, but they will get the job done. Cold Snap is also more on the expensive side, especially if you like toppings. 4210 N. First Ave. 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

Yogurt Delight

If you ever find yourself on the east side of town, particularly just off of Speedway Boulevard and Wilmot Road, and craving a frozen treat look no further than Yogurt Delight. This quaint locally owned and operated shop, fully equipped with diner music and an older feel, make it a fun experience, not to mention you get more for your money. The menu changes daily and they offer three main types of yogurt: regular non-fat (dairy based), Wow Cow!™ (lactose free and sweetened with fructose), and Skinny Mini™ (lactose free and sweetened with Splenda™). 1101 N. Wilmot Road, Suite 107. 10 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday.