Police Beat: Oct. 14

Intoxicated man kicked out of woman’s bed

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to the Coronado Residence Hall on Oct. 3 at 4:20 a.m. in reference to an intoxicated man. Upon arrival, officers discovered the man unconscious in a bathroom with his head on the toilet seat. Police were able to wake the man and identify him. According to officers, the man had red, bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and the strong odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth as he spoke. The man told police that he had been sleeping in the bed of a female friend until he had started to get sick. He left the room and went to the bathroom to vomit. When he tried to return, the female friend told him he was not welcome back inside. Police cited the man on charges of minor in possession and transported him to his room at the Yavapai

Residence Hall, where he was released.

Early morning beer-chugger cited

UAPD officers were on routine patrol in the area of Speedway Boulevard and Warren Avenue on Oct. 5 at 11:25 a.m. when they observed a man drinking from a 24-ounce can of beer. Officers made contact with the man at a bus stop and were able to identify him. According to police, the can of beer was half-full and cool to the touch. The man admitted to drinking beer from the can and he was cited on charges of drinking in public. He was released on scene after police disposed of the contents of his beer can.

Piano damaged in UA dance studio

UAPD officers responded to the Ina E. Gittings building on Oct. 6 at 7:37 a.m. in reference to intentional damage to a Steinway and Sons piano. Upon arrival, officers met with a university employee who led them to the dance studio where the piano was located. According to the employee, the piano had last been seen at approximately 2 p.m. on Oct. 5. The damage occurred to a wooden panel that covered the area where the strings are. The employee told police that she thought the damage appeared consistent with the removal and improper reinstallation of the wooden panel. The employee

further stated that the piano was still fully functioning and estimated the value of the damage to be approximately $2,000. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Woman questioned about marijuana odor

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Coronado Residence Hall on Oct. 6 at 7:17 p.m. in reference to a report of the odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. Upon arrival, officers met with a resident assistant who led them to the sixth floor and told them that during an hourly floor check, the odor of marijuana was detected coming from one of the rooms. Once near the room, police also detected the odor of marijuana. Before officers could contact the room’s owner, a resident opened the door and was attempting to leave before she asked police if there was a problem. Officers told the woman why they were there. The woman stated that she had only recently returned to the room and though she did not smoke marijuana, she was sure that her roommate did. The woman called her roommate and asked her to return to the dorm and speak with police. When the woman returned, she invited officers inside the room and they asked her if she had any contraband in the room. The woman produced a package of rolling papers and a small container of marijuana that was hidden under her bed. Police confiscated the papers and the marijuana and referred the incident to the Dean of Students Office.

Man wonders if pipe counts as drug paraphernalia

UAPD officers responded to the Coronado Residence Hall on Oct. 6 at 10:44 p.m. in reference to a report of the odor of marijuana. Upon arrival, officers met with an resident assistant who led them to a room on the seventh floor. As officers approached the room, a man opened the door, identified himself as the sole resident of the room and said that four other men were inside. The man gave police permission to enter the room and when they did, they detected the strong odor of marijuana inside the room. Officers did not detect any signs of impairment from any of the men in the room. Police asked the owner of the room to remain while the other men were asked to wait outside. According to police, the man admitted to having two marijuana cigarettes in a box with some rolling papers. Officers asked the man if that was all of the contraband in the room and the man asked if a pipe was considered contraband. The man turned over the contraband to police and claimed that his friends had no involvement with the marijuana. Police questioned the other men, who claimed to have known that marijuana was in the room but denied smoking any of it. Police cited the owner of the room on charges of possession of marijuana and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was released on scene and the incident has been referred to the Dean of Students Office.