It’s back: Pima County Fair has got you covered for fair foods, rides, animals, concerts

RCS / Pima County Fair
    A view of the Pima County Fair from above. The fair offers food, games, animals and rides with enough attractions for anyone to find fun.

Bummed out that Spring Fling is over? Don’t wallow in despair—get ready for Spring Fling: Pima County edition with the Pima County Fair. Enjoy everything from thrilling rides to live music to a variety of food and games at the fair running April 14-24.

“It’s something to do in a place where there’s nothing to do,” said Luis Rosano, an aerospace engineering freshman. It can’t hurt to take this advice from a native Tucsonan and go check out the fair, which has something for anyone as it offers a little bit of everything. 

“Pima County Fair isn’t just a big carnival,” said Andrea Gauthier, a freshmen studying literacy, learning and leadership. “It also has horse shows and animal showings and the Future Farmers of America involvement. Most people just go for the rides, and don’t realize until they get there that there’s a lot more it has to offer.” 

The event offers your typical “fair” style commodities and attractions, such as a Ferris wheel that gives you a view of Tucson, and similar adrenaline-pumping rides that were popular with students last weekend at Spring Fling. Not only is there the typical delicious fair food like funnel cakes and kettle corn, but many local vendors will be in attendance. 

Related: What you missed at this year’s Spring Fling.

“There’s a lot of cultural food to experience,” Rosano said in reference to the appearance of items such as the Tucson famous Sonoran hot dogs. 

Anna Woolridge, a pre-business freshman, complimented the beverage choices, saying, “The lemonade is actually fabulous.”

Music is another major draw for the fair. With more than 11 separate musical lineups over its duration, there is something for every musical taste.

“There were over thousands of people in attendance for the concerts last year,” Rosano said. “It was crazy anarchy with an exciting mob of people.”

This year, attendees can look forward to popular hits from Nelly, the powerful female rap group Salt-N-Pepa and the hard rock styles of Hoobastank, among many others.

More so than Spring Fling, the Pima County Fair is an event for all ages from every demographic. It’s a great event to invite those grandparents who won’t stop nagging you to spend time with them. If you’re on the other end of the age spectrum, bring the grandkids or younger siblings.

“There’s a lot of kid stuff, like the petting zoo and a lot of kid rides, which is fun for the whole family,” Rosano said.

Whether you are exhausted from last weekend or missed out because of the rain, the Pima County Fair offers a can’t miss attraction.

“It’s a fair that has culture,” Woolridge said. “Everyone in Tucson goes at some point and it’s a great way to witness the Tucson community.” 

Information about prices, attractions, events and more can be found at the Pima County Fair website, pimacountyfair.com. 

Follow Monica Kothe on Twitter