Police Beat: October 16

Parking garage Batman

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to the Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall in reference to a report of a theft at 12:02 p.m. on Oct. 10.

The student who filed the report said he lost his cellphone. When he called it, an unknown man answered the phone and said, “You stole something from me. You know what it was.”

The man on the other end also demanded that the student give him $50 in exchange for the phone, and said he would meet the student at 2 p.m. on the third floor of the Sixth Street Parking Garage. The officer instructed the student to arrange the meeting.

The first officer, along with a second, arrived at the garage at 1:40 p.m. and observed the third floor elevators of the garage. At 2:05 p.m., the first officer saw two men approaching the east elevator and appeared to be looking for someone. The men then walked toward the east elevator.

The men then walked back to the west elevator, then back to the east elevator once again. When they started walking, the two officers began approaching from either side. One man immediately stopped and placed a black cellphone on the ground. The other man started to walk away, but stopped when he noticed officers coming from both sides. Both men were detained, and officers conducted individual interviews.

The individual who had the phone, a UA student, explained that he found it the day before at the garage, sitting on a ledge. He had been looking for his wallet, and when he found it, he noticed that $50 were missing from it. The student explained that the person who took the money from his wallet was the owner of the cellphone, and that he would give the phone back once he got his money back. The student refused to answer further questions.

The student was cited for theft by control of lost property and the officer returned the cellphone to the owner.

Thieves from the ceiling

A UAPD officer went to the Civil Engineering building to check out reports of a burglary at 2:17 p.m. on Oct. 11. When the officer arrived, he met with the first university employee who filed the report.

The employee said he had noticed damage to the ceiling right outside his office, which had occurred overnight, and that remains from the ceiling were on the floor. The rails that hold up the tiles were also damaged.

The employee told the officer that that it looked like someone had unsuccessfully tried to gain entry into his office. He added that someone had broken into the building in the past by climbing over a wall from the outside and entering through the ceiling tiles. When investigating the area, the officer found black marks along an exterior wall of the building that looked like they could have come from shoes.

The officer then responded to the third floor, where he made contact with the university employee who filed the second report. The employee said that room 324J had been broken into between 10 p.m. on Oct. 10 and 7 a.m. on Oct 11.

The employee explained that someone had scaled the outer wall of the building and come into the lab through the ceiling tiles. Missing from the room were a computer mouse, headphones, some USB cables and a software access USB device.

The employee explained that the items totaled a value of about $4,500, but because the USB device could not be used, it had no value to the person who took it.

The officer took photographs of the damage, and borrowed a ladder from materials management to photograph the ceiling tiles in room 324J. The officer added that because the area was dusty, he wasn’t able to obtain fingerprints.