Man jumps from third story of PAS

A man ran into a back entrance of the Physics and Atmospheric Sciences building yesterday afternoon, hurried up a stairwell and ended up in a women’s bathroom, where he broke through the window and fell two stories, authorities said.

The University of Arizona Police Department is investigating the incident to find out why the man jumped.

Around noon, the man came in an entrance by the loading docks on the southeast side of PAS, 1118 E. Fourth St. A few minutes later, he smashed a window in the third-floor women’s bathroom and fell, landing on a ledge above the loading dock ramp, said Sgt. Eugene Mejia, spokesman for the University of Arizona Police Department.

It is not clear why the man was running, Mejia said.

Just before noon, UAPD responded to a call saying there was a suspicious person in the building. Reports stated the man, who may have been drunk, was “”making weird comments.””

A small crowd of passers-by gathered to watch a fire engine, ambulance and police car cram into the service roads between PAS and the Mathematics building, 617 N. Santa Rita Ave., as paramedics loaded the man onto a stretcher.

Shawn Jackson, a physics lecturer who watched the emergency crew from the sidewalk, said he saw the man run into the building and up the stairs.

“”I didn’t see what happened (after that), but that’s the women’s bathroom up there,”” Jackson said, pointing to the broken window three stories up.

Tucson Fire Department Captain Norm Carlton confirmed that a male was transported to an area hospital, likely the University Medical Center, with non life-threatening injuries.

The man “”complained of chest injuries”” but otherwise sustained no critical damage from the fall, reports stated.

Mejia said the incident is being investigated, and any related charges will not be pressed until the hospital releases a statement on the man’s condition and mental health.

“”(Officers) are still trying to investigate what his purpose on campus was,”” Mejia said of the man, who is not a student at the UA.

UAPD could not release the man’s name because no charges have been filed.

A spokeswoman for the University Medical Center said she could not provide any information on the man’s condition because the man’s name had not been released.