Carey sets Pac-12 record with 366 rushing yards in 56-31 victory

Tyler Besh

He already had 299 rushing yards.

Arizona was leading 49-31 with about nine minutes remaining in the fourth quarter when running back Ka’Deem Carey burst through the seam for a 64-yard gain.

It was that kind of day for the Wildcats, as they defeated Colorado 56-31 at Arizona Stadium in front of a Homecoming crowd of 51,236.

Carey ran over, through and around the Buffs on his way to a Pac-12-record 366 rushing yards and five touchdowns on 25 carries, plus 34 yards receiving. The five scores gave Carey sole possession of second place on Arizona’s single season rushing touchdown list.

“I mean it’s perfect,” Carey said. “When you see a big hole you know your front line did what they had to do so I mean, all thanks to them they did what they had to do today. I found a hole and just ran.”

Arizona (6-4, 3-4 Pac-12) gained bowl eligibility with the win, while the Buffs fell to 1-9.

“It feels great [to be bowl eligible,” said receiver Dan Buckner. “To get that extra win…it feels good.”

In the days leading up to Colorado, all the talk was about B.J. Denker and what he could do at quarterback with Matt Scott out.

He did fine, completing 12-of-14 passes for 136 yards and two touchdowns plus 44 yards and a touchdown on the ground, but it was Carey’s show.

The Wildcats defense struggled, giving up 438 yards to a team that tallied just 76 total yards against Stanford last week. But, every time the Buffs appeared ready to cut into Arizona’s lead, there was Carey to put that idea to rest.

Colorado jumped out to a 7-0 lead to start the game, its first lead since the second quarter against ASU on Oct. 11. Then, the Wildcats drove all the way up the field and Carey ran the ball for 26 yards and a touchdown.

After a 18-yard Colorado field goal at the end of the first quarter, Carey came back with 13 and 30-yard touchdowns in the second quarter, giving the Wildcats a 21-10 lead.

By halftime, the Buffs narrowed the gap to 11 points at 28-17, but after Denker’s second straight touchdown pass to Dan Buckner, Carey ran for another 8-yard scamper.

At that point, Carey had 222 yards and four touchdowns. And then, he just kept running.

Carey juked and ran his way to a 71 yard gain, setting up a 10-yard touchdown run by Denker.

“He was doing a bit of Nintendo weave to get away from some people,” Rodriguez said. “One thing he did he hit the open space and made some pretty decisive cuts to get to that third level.”

He wasn’t done yet.

Finally, after two straight Colorado touchdowns, including a 71-yard pass and catch from Buffs backup quarterback Connor Wood to tight end Scott Fernandez that was the receivers first-ever catch, the Buffs brought the score to within 20 points at 49-31.

That’s when Carey got another 64 yards, and soon after a 3-yard touchdown.

“When you got a guy as hot as Ka’Deem,” Rodriguez said. “You gotta feed it to him.”