Advanced gaming

Nintendo’s take at the game of war, the Advance Wars series, has been running strong for almost seven years. The latest game, “”Days of Ruin,”” aims to tell the tried-and-true tale of war in a different, darker tone while still keeping the gameplay fun and the presentation sharp.

In “”Days of Ruin,”” you take the role of a number of soldiers who survived a meteor attack that wiped out life on Earth. Your battalion must fight refugees and other military power to stay alive in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

The gameplay is a turn-based strategy. This means that unlike real-time strategy games, you and your opponent take turns building up troops, formulating a plan and blowing each other into bits. Collecting funds, building units and capturing property are all vital to your success, and you’re going to have to be smart about it all, especially troop management.

“”Advance Wars: Days of Ruin””
    Nintendo DS
    4/5 stars!

Certain units fare better or worse against other units. Infantry crumbles under tanks, but tanks are powerless against aircraft. Submarines can sink carrier ships, while rockets can destroy battleships.

“”Days of Ruin”” looks better than its predecessors. The cute, cartoony units from previous installments have been overhauled into more realistic-looking fighters. The landscape detail has also improved, adding more realism to the game’s environments. The action sequences have also been redone to look more realistic, with detailed explosions and unique attacking animations for units.

The gameplay for “”Days of Ruin”” can be a bit slow-paced at times and long missions can become monotonous. Playing against the computer’s artificial intelligence gets pretty vicious later in the game, making battles increasingly frustrating. It’s got a nice mix of strategy and action which balances out well, and a storyline that’s not too paper-thin. It’s a solid turn-based strategy game that’s definitely worth checking out.