MySpace no haven for teachers

MySpace seems to be a collective gathering ground for the younger half of the population, as well as a haven for some really odd people.

Lately there has been some debate over what age is just too old to be using the site. However, one thing that everyone can agree on is that it shouldn’t be a place for creepy high school teachers. More specifically: my creepy high school teacher.

Let’s call him Mr. F.

I have fond memories of Mr. F yelling at me, glaring at me and then following that with more yelling. Granted, I more than likely deserved it, but Mr. F seemed to have a short fuse when it came to dealing with students (I assume it was probably stemming from some sort of traumatic high school experience). Upon finding out that he had a MySpace account, I was initially intrigued to see how he would describe himself:

“”What is there to know? You’ll have to contact me to find out. I am a computer programming, digital imaging, and yearbook teacher. I am likely to take a wife.””

For those of you with acute amnesia, he said he is “”… likely to take a wife.””

So let’s say I’m going on 40 years old and I’m looking to get married. How can I put that in a comfortable and relaxed way to a potential partner? Maybe, “”I’m looking to settle down,”” or, “”I’m looking for someone to spend the rest of my life with.””

Nope, Mr. F goes with the creepiest phrase possible, one which conjures up repressed traditions of arranged marriages, if not images of an Incubus stealing away with women in the dark of night. But, the real issue is that he has a MySpace in the first place.

Mr. F is just an example. I’m sure there are thousands of teachers and adults across the country on MySpace and other social networks like it. In a place like MySpace geared towards teenagers and twenty-somethings, it’s just not kosher for a teacher to be mingling in the same network as their students. No exceptions. None. There comes an age and profession when you just need to cash out and sign up for Match.com.

Keep in mind I’m not saying it should be outlawed, I’m just exercising my First Amendment right to point my finger and say, “”Hey, stop it, you’re being creepy.””