Outdoor adventures plans expansion

Sonja Smith, a junior majoring in wildlife management and employee at Outdoor Adventures, checks in the gear after returning from mountaineering in Babol Quivri south of Tucson yesterday morning. Outdoor Adventures has a large list of trips available for the semester.

Outdoor Adventures, the UA’s student-run wilderness group, will land a new facility with the expansion of the Student Recreation Center, according to Outdoor Adventures employees.

Moving to a new facility will benefit the organization, said Nate Allen, a graduate student in teacher education who works at Outdoor Adventures.

“”Right now our facility is a fantastic space,”” Allen said. “”However, the new facility will allow us to provide a higher quality service to the students with a more organized space to do our gear and rentals.””

As of now, Outdoor Adventures is slated to have its own separate facility located across a courtyard from the Rec Center, said Allen.

Outdoor Adventures, which started at the UA in 1990, will get a full commercial kitchen in the new facility to prepare better meals for guests.

There will also be separate parking for guests coming to rent gear, such as backpacks, canoes and kayaks.

Another possibility is a climbing wall where students can practice, Allen said.

Outdoor Adventures, a part of the Rec Center, offers about 60 trips per year to UA students.

Some of the new trips that are being offered this year include a fly-fishing trip and a mountaineering class. Both take place in Colorado and are offered in May, after finals, said Allen.

“”My favorite trips are the canoeing and

Our mission is to get the students out and see the state they are going to school in.

– Nate Allen, teacher education graduate student

hiking trips,”” said Lindsey Ripley, an international studies junior who also works for Outdoor Adventures. “”The best thing about Outdoor Adventures is that I get paid to have fun.””

But Outdoor Adventures needs a budget increase because trips are limited, Ripley said.

Outdoor Adventures is funded by the $25-per-semester Rec Center fee and a charge that trip participants must pay.

The size of trips, which are led by students, is limited by the type of permits the group is given from the campsites they are staying at.

“”The limitation is a good thing because you don’t want 30 people on a wilderness trip,”” Allen said. “”You aren’t going to really experience the wilderness, you are more likely to make a bigger impact than a group of 10 would.””

Allen said he would like to see more people get involved with Outdoor Adventures. Allen said not many people know about the group because of its current location, but with the new facility he hopes to be more visible to the campus community.

“”Our mission is to get the students out and see the state they are going to school in,”” Allen said. “”We really add an important part of the university experience. Going to college is more than going to class, it’s what kind of stuff you get to do while you are in that region and city and with different people.””