Police Beat

A book was found defaced with anti-Muslim sentiments written on it in the Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., Aug. 17, reports stated.

A university employee reported the graffiti to the police the next day.

The book, “”Muslim Cultures Today: A Reference Guide,”” had anti-Muslim statements written in permanent black marker.

The police searched the shelves where the book would have been located and did not find similar vandalism.

The library employee said the book was brand new and had been shelved last month. She added that the book had no history of being checked out.

A new copy of the book will be ordered for recirculation.

Graffiti was found in the men’s restroom on the main floor of the Park Student Union, 615 N. Park Ave., Aug. 18, reports stated.

The graffiti appeared to be made of three letters drawn in large cursive handwriting with a large black marker.

A university employee estimated that the graffiti was done sometime between 3 p.m. Aug. 17 and 12:30 p.m. Aug. 18.

The letters measured an estimated 1 foot by 2 1/2 feet.

A vehicle was stolen from the lot south of Chi Phi fraternity house, 1140 E. Seventh St., around 3 a.m. Aug. 18, reports stated.

The fraternity member parked the black Mazda RX8 at 10 p.m.

The man stated that he was moving into the frat house and there were a lot of personal items in the car.

There was no glass in the area where the car had been parked and no suspects at the time the police report was taken.

The car was recovered at 9:51 a.m. the next day at East Dawson Place and North Santa Rita Avenue in drivable condition.

Reports stated that the keys were locked inside the vehicle when it was found.

Police issued a red tag after a complaint of loud music was made at 11:53 p.m. Aug. 18, reports stated.

Attendees of the party at 2304 E. Sixth St. told police the gathering was a UA function.

There were an estimated 70 subjects on the grounds. Police cleared the gathering and issued a red tag.

Six male students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office Aug. 18 for consumption of alcohol and illegal drugs, reports stated.

Police responded to a reference of marijuana odor at the Skyview Apartments, 1050 E. Eighth St.

Upon arrival, the police stopped a male exiting the room in question. The police advised the man of his Miranda Rights after observing his red and watery eyes.

The man could not make eye contact with the police, but told them he and one other person smoked marijuana on the south side of the building.

The police were given entry to the apartment and spoke to another male, who gave them access to search his area of the apartment.

Four men were found hiding in the restroom.

Two of the males were diverted to the dean for using marijuana and the other four males were diverted to the dean for consumption of alcohol.

All the men were under 21 years old.

A man turned in a bicycle he found in the area of East Speedway Boulevard and North Fifth Street Aug. 18, reports stated.

The man found the bike lying on the southwest corner of a building at 6 a.m. Aug. 17.

He said he had ridden the dark red Huffy beach cruiser around that day and had then decided to turn it in.

The bike had a black cable lock wrapped around the seat post.

The serial number did not return stolen and there was no owner information.

The bike has been placed in UAPD property and evidence for safekeeping.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department Records. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resumǸ can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.