Police Beat: Feb. 4

Lax ladies allow search, get criminal MIP

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to the Coronado Residence Hall on Sunday at 11:07 p.m. after someone reported smelling marijuana on the second floor.

The officer met with the Resident Assistant on duty and they patrolled the hallway. The smell was detected as coming from around one door frame on the second floor.

The officer could hear several girls inside the room giggling, and when he knocked on the door, the resident gave the officer permission to come inside.

When he entered the room he saw four girls and smelled a strong odor of marijuana.

The four women were questioned separately. Three women denied knowing about any marijuana and claimed they did not know why the room smelled.

The other woman said she smoked outside earlier that night, but would not say where or with whom.

Another officer was granted permission to search the room and found a 750 milliliter bottle of Three Olives Cherry Vodka under the resident’s desk. He also noticed a full 1.75 liter bottle of Smirnoff Vodka under her roommate’s desk.

The resident was cited and released on a criminal charge of minor in possession and a Code of Conduct report was referred to the Dean of Students.

Sloppy drunk?

A UAPD officer was called to assist paramedics at a residential home on Sunday at 2:27 a.m.

The officer spoke with a woman identified by a California driver’s license. As the officer asked the woman questions, he could see that her eyes were bloodshot and she had slurred speech and a strong odor of alcohol.

After she was cleared by the Tucson Fire Department paramedics, the woman told the officer that earlier she had six shots of hard liquor at a party at the Delta Chi fraternity house at 1701 E. First St. She also stated that alcohol readily available at the party.

The woman was arrested and charged for minor in possession. She was cited and her rights were explained to her. The woman was released into the care of a friend.

New Yorker sends mafia mail

A UAPD officer responded to the Emil W. Haury Anthropology building at on Monday at 11:27 a.m. regarding a piece of mail.

A UA employee told the officer that for the past five years the Anthropology building had been receiving “”unusual”” mail from an unknown person in New York.

The woman told officers that on the outside of the envelopes are phrases such as “”Do white people have religion?”” and “”Mafia Land.””

The letters are articles cut from New York area newspapers and none have ever been of a threatening nature.

The woman said the building has received two or three letters a year, and they all have been “”weird.””

There are no suspects, and the letters do not have forwarding addresses on them. All letters have been sent from New York. The incident has been cited and the letters were placed into property as evidence.

Someone has a case of the Mondays

A UAPD officer responded to the Electrical and Computer Engineering building on Monday at 3:41 p.m., in response to a call about a man disturbing the peace.

The victim, a UA employee that works in the building, said a man knocked on her office door and asked to speak to her about the status of an application.

The woman stated she was unable to determine the name of the student he was asking about because of the man’s accent.

She said the man then started screaming, “”You haven’t responded to any of my e-mails; this process is sexist.””

The woman then told the man he was not allowed to speak to her that way and to leave the office. She also stated the man’s wife, who was also in the office, needed to hold him back as he screamed at the woman.

While the man continued to yell, the woman called UAPD because she did not know if the situation was going to become physical.

The woman said she was scared of the man, even though there were many other people who had entered the office to keep the man separated from her.

The officer then spoke with the man, who stated he was only at the office to check on the status of his nephew’s graduate school application, and at no time was he yelling or screaming at the woman.

He also said the woman told him he was “”uncivilized”” and to “”get out of my office,”” and she then called the police. The man claimed he did not know why the police were being called and that it was unnecessary.

The woman said she did not want to be involved in judicial proceedings and just wanted the situation to be documented.

The officer stayed on scene as the wife of the man asked the woman questions about the application status for their nephew.

Hand sanitizer dispenser thieves caught on tape

A UAPD officer responded to the Park Student Union on Monday at 6:10 p.m. after an employee reported theft from the property.

The employee stated he witnessed the theft of an automatic hands-free hand sanitizer dispenser by three unknown men.

The men had been joking with the employee about wanting to steal the dispenser just before one of the men took it off the wall and left the building.

The dispenser was on the wall near the main entrance, across from the information desk.

No other witnesses are known and video surveillance will be examined by the discretion of the detectives working the case.