Britton named to Outland Trophy preseason watch list

Eben Britton
    Eben Britton

Arizona junior tackle Eben Britton has been placed on the Football Writers Association of America’s 2008 Outland Trophy Watch List, the UA announced Friday.

Britton is one of 70 linemen from around the nation to be considered for the award in the preseason.

The Outland Trophy has been awarded to the best interior lineman in college football since 1946. The winner is selected by the Writers Association’s All-America Committee, which selects the 25-man All-America squad toward the end of the season.

The 6-foot-6, 310-pound Britton started 24 games in the last two years after redshirting the 2005 season. He played on both sides of the line during spring ball but will likely be rooted at right tackle in the fall.

“”Eben’s as good as I’ve seen,”” said UA head coach Mike Stoops in a press release. “”He’s a big, tough, quick and strong player who can dominate. He’s going to be really important for us this year as we take the spread offense into its second year.””

Britton is one of 10 Pacific 10 Conference players on the Outland watch list, along with USC guard Jeff Byers and UCLA defensive tackle Brigham Harwell, among others.

The last Wildcat to win the award was nose tackle Rob Waldrop in 1993 when he earned consensus All-America honors, as well as the inaugural Bronko Nagurski Trophy as the nation’s most outstanding defensive player.

LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey won the award last season.