Earlier game time changes schedule

The entire Homecoming schedule had to be moved around last week to accommodate an earlier kick-off time, but organizers were given enough warning that it shouldn’t spoil the fun, one Homecoming official said.

Game time tomorrow is 1:30 p.m., a difference of 2 1/2 hours because the game was selected to be broadcast via the ABC television network, said Angela Ballard, assistant director of Homecoming and special events with the UA Alumni Office.

This change affects everything, Ballard said. The tents on the UA Mall and the parade were changed to start at 9 a.m. and 10 a.m., respectively.

Event coordinators found out about the change about two weeks ago, she said.

“”We had much more notice this time,”” Ballard said. Coordinators could have found out as late as six days before Homecoming day, which would have been Monday.

Having that much notice gave them plenty of time to rearrange the schedule, she said.

Scheduling aside, Homecoming has undergone other changes, such as the Mall events this week.

Monday’s event was a giant game of Twister, while Tuesday featured a human foosball game. On Wednesday there was a gooey relay race, and groups played tug-of-war in a mud pit yesterday.

Today’s Mall activities start off with the Homecoming royalty sitting above a dunking tank at noon, said Matt Haberman, president of Bobcats Senior Honorary, which helps organize Homecoming events. Anyone can try to dunk the 10 finalists for king and queen.

The local band the Mockingbirds will perform at the Homecoming kick-off celebration, which begins at 7 p.m., said Haberman, a communication senior.

“”Last year they were too hard to get,”” he said about the band.

Tonight’s bonfire will also feature a larger fireworks event, Haberman said.

Last year’s fireworks display lasted about 10 minutes, he said.

“”This year, we’re hoping to double the time and the number of fireworks,”” Haberman said.

Saturday’s parade will have more than 65 entries, Haberman said. The parade includes floats, people in convertibles and rickshaws and some groups that walk, he said.

New to this year’s parade is the UA’s seven-time champion softball team on a fire truck, Haberman said.

“”We’re really thinking that since the theme is ‘America Hails All Heroes! Veteran’s Day,’ parade entries will honor the veterans,”” Haberman added.

Last year’s event stirred up some controversy when the UA’s alcohol consumption policy changed to restrict the drinking area to the Mall itself, rather than the bordering streets of North Euclid and North Campbell avenues and East Speedway Boulevard and East Sixth Street of past years.

That policy has not changed, Ballard said.

“”We want to make it a safe and fun environment,”” she said.