Fall activities in Tucson for Halloween and beyond

Selena Quintanilla

Families hunt for the perfect pumpkin at the Marana Pumpkin Patch on Saturday, October 8, 2016.

As October brings cool weather it also brings the excitement of fall festivities. Tucson makes up for the lack of autumn with its intriguing and thrilling experiences. Here are some activities to get you into the fall feeling.

The SlaughterHouse

The SlaughterHouse is a Tucson horror fan favorite spooky season activity as it includes the fear of a true haunted house. In 2009, the 1950s meatpacking plant was turned into five horrifying houses with something different for everyone.

This year, The SlaughterHouse upped their games as hefty renovations took place. In 2020, all five houses were turned into one terrifying experience with eccentric animatronics, characters and special effects.

The new and improved attraction is located on 1102 W. Grant Rd. and it opens Thursday through Sunday from 7 p.m to 10 p.m and until midnight only on Saturdays.

RELATED: Seven tips for saving space: college student edition

As if things didn’t need to be scarier, the meatpacking plant is a true haunted house. In 2017, Ghost Adventures, a Travel Channel paranormal investigation series, went on lockdown with Post Malone. They confirmed a whirlwind of paranormal activity and reported that Malone was visibly disturbed when the investigation concluded.

Check out TheSlaughterHouse website to buy tickets and more information.

Marana Pumpkin Patch and Farm Festival 

The Marana Pumpkin Patch and Farm Festival is a prime fall spot for locals. The Patch is open from Oct. 2 to Oct. 31. and includes a variety of activities such as a corn maze, jumping pillow and over 50 acres of home grown pumpkins.

Ticket fees are all included, you can enjoy a ride in the cyclone swing or the diesel train, watch the pig races, slide down in the super slide, go to the petting zoo and drive mini tractors. Additionally, there are extra fee activities such as the zipline, pony rides, pumpkin/apple cannon and pumpkins, where you take a wagon ride out to the pumpkin patch to pick your own.

RELATED: Review: UA Theatre presents: Into the Woods

A 40 minute drive from the University of Arizona, Marana Pumpkin Patch is perfect for a family outing or a day with friends.

Check out the Marana Pumpkin Patch and Farm Festival website to plan your trip.

36th Fall Artisans Market 

The 36th Annual Fall Artisans Market is back! After its cancellation in 2020 due to COVID-19, Tucson Museum of Art and Historic Block 36th Annual Fall Artisans Market returns with over 100 local artisans from jewelry to textiles. The event is a fundraiser that raises money for Tucson’s oldest visual arts institution. 

The artistry ranges from small to defined businesses. Artists such as Patty Lakinsmith create glass beads and use them to create jewelry. 

RELATED: Was that… a vagina?

The House of Hatters isn’t one to miss as they travel the world looking for influences for their signature pieces. Each artist encourages the museum’s mission is to seek dynamic and diverse human creativity.

While enjoying a variety of art and exhibits the Market also offers food from their Cafe a la C’Art with plenty of outdoor seating. 

TMA’s 36thAnnual Fall Artisans Market will take place on 140 N. Main Ave. through Nov. 19 to Nov. 21 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., this event is free and open to the public.

Check out the TMA Fall Artisans Market website to learn more and preorder tickets.

Follow Ellen Nangia on Twitter.