Students happy with 2 interim AASA directors

Brandon Marshall, left, newly appointed interim co-director of African American Student Affairs, chats with Steve Freeman, a Tucson community member, and Derek Adams, first-year graduate student in English. Marshall is one of two new directors at the center.

Initial reaction to new interim co-directors of African American Student Affairs has been positive, as the new leadership attempts to overcome the controversy from last semester.

Brandon Marshall, the vice president of enrollment management, and Cynthia Quijada took over the organization during the summer, after previous director Alex Wright left the position.

In April, AASA students were upset about being excluded from the search for a new director.

Instead of immediately naming a new director, the administration decided to install Marshall and Quijada as temporary leaders and will take more time to find someone for a permanent job, Marshall said.

Marshall said the position has been a challenge, which he loves.

“”The job has been fun – something new,”” Marshall said.

AASA students’ biggest concern is a lack of campus awareness for their group.

Shaka Guthridge, a psychology senior, said she was satisfied that the interim directors are doing a good job of promoting the organization.

This week the group is hosting events for Black Orientation Week that will end Saturday with a barbecue near the stage on the UA Mall from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. The main focus of the barbecue will be to introduce members of the UA community to the wider black community of Tucson, Marshall said

“”They are doing a really great job of getting more people aware of what we have to offer,”” Guthridge said. “”This (organization) used to be huge. … I can’t wait till it gets back to that point.””

According to students, tension from last semester has dissipated, although Egomeli Hormeku, a sophomore majoring in political science and Africana studies, said he still remembers the intensity of the time.