Don’t hold breath for In-N-Out Burger

The new In-N-Out Burger is nearing completion and will soon be opening its door for the first time in Tucson. It will be located on 3711 E. Broadway Blvd next to Target in the El Con shopping center.

So much for the rumor that In-N-Out Burger will replace McDonald’s in the Student Union Memorial Center.

“”The rumor is not true,”” said David Galbraith, SUMC associate director and director of food services. “”McDonald’s will have their contract end on July 31, after 10 years of being in the Union.””

Arizona Student Unions have worked since last September to find a replacement, Galbraith said.

“”We had a request for proposal in September, and it is a big project,”” Galbraith said. “”We are asking every national burger chain in the country, as well as Pima County.””

The request for a proposal is a bidding process where different businesses submit their plans and ideas, Galbraith said. Those submissions are then reviewed by different student and staff committees that award the contract.

Although many burger restaurants have bid to replace McDonald’s, In-N-Out Burger has not.

“”We had a mandatory meeting, and In-N-Out did not show,”” Galbraith said. “”The bids closed Nov. 6 last year, and we are almost done with the selection process.””

Though In-N-Out Burger is one of many popular burger restaurants, it is far from some students’ thoughts.

“”I think SONIC should be there, or Burger King,”” said James Roberts, a molecular and cellular biology sophomore. “”Any place that serves better fries.””

Other students would like to see a place with a variety of food choices and healthier options.

“”Wendy’s is a lot healthier, and you can have a salad instead of fries,”” said Melissa Revelle, a physics and astronomy junior. “”SONIC is also better because it has a better variety and quality.””

Other students are not as concerned about who fills in the space, but would like to see a restaurant that can handle the student traffic in the union.

“”I’m not too sad to see it go,”” said Adam Dietrich, a math and computer science sophomore. “”As long as they have a line of tills (registers), I’m OK.””

Though In-N-Out Burger will not open in the union any time soon, some students are looking forward to the new In-N-Out Burger restaurants opening at 3711 Broadway Blvd. and the southwest corner of West Cortaro Road and Arizona Pavilions Drive, west of Interstate-10.

“”We don’t have an In-N-Out on the East Coast, and because everyone loves it here, I plan on going when it opens,”” said Lauren Campbell, a business freshman.

The Cortaro Road location originally planned to open in the fall of 2005. Neither location currently has a projected opening day.