Police Beat: August 29

‘Some good shit’

A UA student was cited and released for possession of marijuana on Aug. 26, after he drove by a University of Arizona Police Department officer in the Main Gate Parking Garage at approximately 10:25 a.m.

The officer smelled a strong odor of marijuana coming from the rolled down driver’s side window when the car passed him.

The officer followed the vehicle on bike until it parked, then told the driver why he had stopped him and asked for identification.

The officer didn’t find anything when he searched the student’s vehicle, but when he searched the student, he felt what seemed to be a bag of some kind near the groin area. The officer asked the student what he had concealed in his shorts and the student said,

“It’s the marijuana.”

The officer then told the student that he really did not want to unzip his shorts to retrieve it, so the student unzipped his shorts and removed an 8” by 8” plastic Ziploc bag filled with a substance he said was marijuana.

When questioned, the student told the officer that he had had the marijuana for about a week, and that he had paid $600 for it. He would not say where he bought it or from whom, only that he had paid $600 because “it was some good shit.”

He also told the officer that he usually smokes at home, though he sometimes smokes before working out at the Student Recreation Center.

The student was cited and released and referred to the dean of students. The marijuana, which weighed approximately 59.9 grams, was placed into evidence.

Desperate times

A UA student was arrested and cited for shoplifting after security from the UofA Bookstore witnessed him taking $675.20 worth of textbooks at approximately 5:22 p.m. on Aug. 26.

Bookstore security saw the student on the security monitors carrying several textbooks from downstairs up to the ground floor. He then put the books in his backpack and began walking out of the store.

Security confronted the student outside the main entrance, and after some discussion, he went with them to the conference room and removed the books from his backpack. The student was told to wait for UAPD to arrive, but he refused and left.

Upon being dispatched to the scene, an officer from UAPD was advised that the student was being pursued by security personnel. An assisting officer was able to catch him in a stairwell of the Sixth Street Parking Garage, and the officer contacted bookstore security to find out what happened.

After speaking with security, the officer spoke with the student. The student informed the officer that he had taken the books because he needed them for his classes but could not afford them.

He was cited and released, and a code of conduct referral was forwarded to the Dean of Students.

Friendly support

A UA student was arrested on charges of minor in possession on Aug. 26, after a UAPD officer noticed her being removed from the back of a vehicle parked near Tyndall Avenue while conducting traffic at approximately 11:15 p.m.

The student was having difficulties standing on her own and was supported by two of her friends. When the officer spoke with the student to conduct a welfare check, she said she was OK and had been drinking a little. She said she lived in a nearby residence hall and was being escorted home.

While speaking with the student, the officer noticed she had slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, and smelled strongly of alcohol.
    When asked her age, she said she was 18 years old.

She told the officer that she had been drinking hard liquor at an off-campus party, but refused to identify where the party was or who provided the alcohol. Shortly after, she said she had been drinking at a fraternity, but then said again that she had actually been drinking off-campus, not at a fraternity. Due to her condition, the officer requested Student Emergency Medical Services to evaluate her, and it was determined she didn’t need any further medical attention.

The officer arrested her on charges of underage drinking and escorted her to her residence hall, where they were met by a resident assistant. She was cited and released into the resident assistant’s care, and a code of conduct violation was completed.

-Follow Alison Dorf @AlisonRaeDorf