Cera breaks out of stereotype with ‘Youth in Revolt’

Cera breaks out of stereotype with  Youth in Revolt

How far would you go to seal the deal on a summer fling? Would you try to be cooler or move closer to your love? Perhaps you would engage in some mischief and wacky exploits. God knows hormones make us crazy anyways. And in some cases, that means a bit schizophrenic.

Enter “”Youth in Revolt.”” It’s exactly everything you’d imagine in a decade where a coming-of-age tale really means a nerdy boy loses his virginity. Between “”Adventureland,”” “”Charlie Bartlett”” and just about anything with Michael Cera, the concept behind the movie is nothing we have not seen before.

Based on C.D. Payne’s novel of the same name, “”Youth in Revolt”” features Cera as Nick Twisp – your average, sex-starved virgin with zero social skills. His cynically lonely life is turned upside-down when he meets Sheeni Saunders (Portia Doubleday) on summer vacation. In order to win this hot nerd over and contend with her demigod of a boyfriend, Nick creates an alter ego. Francois Dillinger is everything Nick isn’t: chain-smoking, fashionable, mustached and experienced with the ladies. Together the two embark on an adventure of escalating crime to reunite with Sheeni.

Though the trailer portrays the film as a slapstick comedy filled with bawdy humor, you won’t always be laughing out loud. But you will smile at the great writing that uncovers the true awkwardness of first love.

As for the acting, while Nick might not need his alter ego to win the girl of his dreams, Michael Cera certainly does. Before “”Youth in Revolt,”” Cera was well on his way to being forever typecasted. But the his Francois character pushes Cera out of the deadbeat geek stereotype and allows Cera to move into other roles.

While watching a 16-year-old blow up towns in order to swipe his V-card might only seem appropriate for high schoolers, the movie plays upon the nostalgia of high school romances through a quirky plot supported by a strong cast including Zach Galifianakis, Steve Buscemi, Fred Willard and Justin Long. All in all, “”Youth in Revolt”” is an entertaining watch that proves you don’t have to go too crazy to find love.