“Alpha Chi Omega lacks members, loses charter”

The recent whirlwind of change within the UA Greek community continued yesterday evening as Alpha Chi Omega made it known that its UA chapter would be removed.

The national council of Alpha Chi Omega announced the elimination of the Beta Lambda charter at the University of Arizona, as stated by their press release Tuesday evening.

Members of the Alpha Chi Omega national grand council were flown in to report the news to Alpha Chi’s 67 members, on Monday evening.

“”Over the past couple of days, the national council of Alpha Chi Omega voted to close the Beta Lambda chapter of the University of Arizona,”” said Associate Executive Director Beth Conder. “”The chapter was notified last night about the decision, we answered any questions they might have and walked them through the past few years and why that decision was made.””

Ever since Alpha Chi Omega was re-organized in 1999, the UA sorority hit several obstacles in regards to the member quota of their chapter, Conder said.

“”In 1998, there were some members who were accused of a hazing incident,”” She said. “”As part of that investigation, we went through and set some high expectations for the remaining women in the chapter. We wanted them to remain consistent with our policies of hazing and risk management.””

The Beta Lambda chapter has had no issues involved with risk management since its 1999 re-organization. It was more about the chapter’s struggle to reach annual quota, Conder said.

She said the chapter had continuously struggled to be competitive with other chapters at the UA.

The news came as a surprise to all of Alpha Chi’s members, including the former and current president of the Beta Lambda chapter.

“”We never saw it coming,”” said Rachel Levine, a communications senior and Alpha Chi Omega member.

“”We just finished off spring recruitment,”” Levine said. “”I just feel that it is unfair to all of our new members in addition to our young active members.””

Levine said she had been an active member of Alpha Chi Omega for three years and said her journey as an Alpha Chi Omega member had been nothing short of an incredible experience.

Marsha Brady, national president of Alpha Chi Omega, said although the announcement has been officially recognized, the chapter would continue to participate as an active house in the Greek community until May.

“”All of our members at the end of this spring semester will become alumni in good standing, still remain Alpha Chi Omegas”” Grady said. “”Come may, they will be embraced by our local alumni chapter.””

As of next fall, Alpha Chi Omega will not participate in any recognized UA student organizations, Grady said.

Former Alpha Chi Omega Chapter President and political science senior, Kara Subach said that all of the current members would finish out the current semester.

“”It is obviously disappointing for all of us in the house,”” Subach said. “”We are looking to staying involved and active throughout the rest of this semester, it’s not the end yet.””

Current chapter President Nichole Cuda said the charter may be removed from campus, but the sisterhood bond will be with the women forever.

“”They’re not taking away our friendships or our sisterhood; they are just taking away the name Alpha Chi Omega from the UA,”” Cuda said.