Police Beat: September 14

Litter bug charged with disorderly conduct
    A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to a dispatch call about a disturbance at the intersection of Speedway Boulevard and Cherry Avenue at 11:55 p.m. on Sept. 9.

When the officer arrived, a non-UA-affiliated, 22-year-old male was sitting on the street corner, handcuffed. Two Department of Public Safety peace officers had arrested the man before the officer’s arrival. They had been directing post-football game traffic when the man approached the officers, asking them questions about the game and saying he was going to wait there for his ride.

One of the public safety officers told the man that his ride couldn’t stop in the roadway because it would cause further traffic congestion. The man then threw several pieces of paper on the ground and didn’t pick them up until the same officer gave him several warnings that he would be arrested for littering. The man then proceeded to argue with the officer, saying that nothing could be done to him. The man’s ride had arrived by this time, and traffic began to back up, so the second public safety officer was called over. The officers told the man to leave the area about 10 to 20 times, but he refused and continued to fight back.

He was then handcuffed and removed from the area. When the UAPD officer arrived, the man was taken to Pima County Jail on charges of disorderly conduct and failure to obey a police officer.

Two MIPs, three weeks, $150 in cleanup fees
    A cab driver for Scotty’s Cab called UAPD at 1:50 a.m. on Sept. 9, after an intoxicated 18-year-old student vomited in his cab.

The driver had picked the student up near Country Club Road and Elm Street. When the driver called UAPD, he was parked outside of Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall, with the woman still in his vehicle. When a UAPD officer arrived, he helped the student out of the cab, and immediately noticed her eyes were glassy and that she had a strong smell of alcohol coming from her breath. There was some vomit on the front of her shirt as well as the seat and floor of the cab.

The cab driver asked the officer to remind the student of the $150 cleanup fee. The student admitted that she had been at an off-campus party a few hours prior. At first she admitted to only having a few drinks at the party, but then said she had consumed several drinks of hard liquor, adding that this was very unusual for her. Although she had signs of alcohol consumption, she didn’t appear to require further medical attention.

When asked if she had participated in the UA Diversion Program, she said she had done so about three weeks ago for a minor in possession. The officer then cited and released the student for another minor in possession and she paid the cab driver the $150 fee.

Rage against the machine
    A UAPD officer went to the Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage at 9:35 a.m. on Sept. 11 to respond to a report of intentional vandalism.

When the officer arrived, he spoke with the 22-year-old student who reported that someone had vandalized his vehicle between 1 p.m. the day before and 8:30 a.m. that morning. He said he parked on the second level of the garage the day before. He didn’t realize his car had been vandalized until he noticed scratches on the hood of his vehicle when he drove into the sunlight. The student immediately returned to the garage and contacted UAPD.

On the hood of the vehicle, near the driver’s side, an unknown suspect had used a sharp object to scratch the vehicle. The scratches were straight lines that had cut through the paint. The UAPD officer called to the scene inspected other cars in the area and didn’t see any similar damages. There are no suspects or witnesses at this time and no evidence was found.