Seniors plan for prosperous futures

While seniors celebrate graduation, they are looking forward to their futures with questions in their minds and hopes in their hearts.

Seniors said they had many ideas of where they might be five years from now, ranging from being high-power business executives to lounging around on the California coast.

Ashley Eden, a senior majoring in public administration who has served as an Associated Students of the University of Arizona senator, said she sees herself far from Tucson and serving the community five years from now.

“”I would like to be working in Washington, D.C., lobbying for an issue I am passionate about, whether it be equal opportunities in education or health care or other specific issues that affect people’s everyday lives,”” Eden said. “”I know I will be doing something in the public sector.””

Sally Wyer, a media arts and retail senior, said her love for MTV and interest in the media make her think she could have a job with the channel she’s always loved to watch.

“”I see myself working for MTV behind the scenes of ‘Making the Video,'”” Wyer said.

Ron Rawson, a regional development senior, said he pictures his life half a decade from now as one of big business deals and luxury.

“”I picture myself working in Phoenix doing commercial real estate brokerage,”” Rawson said.

Like Wyer, Rawson said he sees MTV as part of his near future, but in a different sense.

“”I want to be driving an M3 and chilling on MTV cribs,”” Rawson said.

I hope I’ll be living in Orange County because there are a lot of great people there and not a lot of arrogant people. I see myself owning a Mercedes and being really tan.
    – Todd Scanlin,
    political science senior

Political science senior Todd Scanlin said he’s not sure what he’ll be doing in five years, but he does know where he wants to be and what he wants to look like.

“”I hope I’ll be living in Orange County because there are a lot of great people there and not a lot of arrogant people,”” Scanlin said. “”I see myself owning a Mercedes and being really tan.””

UA students had different ideas about what they might be doing for a profession in 10 years, ranging from raising a family to owning a basketball team.

Eden said although she expects her professional life to be important to her in 10 years, she plans on moving closer to home to raise a family too.

“”(In 10 years) I see myself starting to settle down, and probably moving back closer to my family in Texas, but still pursuing a career,”” Eden said.

Wyer said her ultimate goal is to work for a large media distribution group and move closer to the West Coast.

“”I’d like to live in Los Angeles,”” Wyer said. “”It’s really central for media and (for people) going into that industry.””

Scanlin said a decade from now he’ll be doing something he’s always dreamed of.

“”I see myself owning the L.A. Lakers so I could trade Kobe (Bryant),”” Scanlin said. “”I just wouldn’t have people like Kobe on my team.””

Guillermo Quintana, a political science senior, said his plans are simple. He hopes to work at a successful law firm, but to put family first.

“”My plans are just to stay here,”” Quintana said. “”I see myself married with a family and kids in 10 years.””