The little nest offers big charm

Scottsdale resident Denise Mitchell enjoys an entrǸe from the Mi Nidito Mexican  restaurant. Mitchell says that her favorite dish are the shredded beef flautas.
    Scottsdale resident Denise Mitchell enjoys an entrǸe from the Mi Nidito Mexican restaurant. Mitchell says that her favorite dish are the shredded beef flautas.

Mi Nidito is a Tucson classic that serves authentic Mexican food and five famous flavors of margaritas. Located at 1813 South 4th Avenue, Mi Nidito is nestled among the closely packed buildings and narrow streets of historic South Tucson.Follow the crowds and you will find great food. It seems that many of the best restaurants are always packed. This rule holds true for Mi Nidito, which often means a long wait. But don’t let that get you down – the food is worth it.

Literally translated as “”my little nest,”” Mi Nidito has been in business since 1952. I love its cozy feel. It is small but homey, decorated from floor to ceiling with traditional Mexican art and photos of celebrities who have visited.

Mi Nidito offers a wide variety of delicious Sonoran-style dishes. The chile relleno, a green chile stuffed with cheese and fried in an egg batter, is magnificent. You never know if you’re going to get a spicy or mild chile relleno, which is half the fun.

The “”health tacos”” are a guilt-free go-to on the menu with its warm corn tortillas, melted cheese, sprouts and avocado. They’re simple and delicious. They offer fresh lemonade that is some of the best in town, as is their horchata, a rice milk drink similar in taste to chai.Another menu favorite is the “”President’s Plate,”” a combination platter that includes everything ordered by President Bill Clinton when he visited Mi Nidito in 1999. Mr. Clinton isn’t the only famous patron Mi Nidito’s boasts. Others patrons include Lute Olsen, Enrique and Julio Iglesias and Madeleine Albright. These celebrities know good food.

Mi Nidito is a charming restaurant with a friendly family atmosphere. It is open Wednesday to Sunday 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. The full menu can be viewed at www.minidito.net.