Police Beat

A resident of La Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave., was diverted to the Dean of Students Office for possession of marijuana at 10:50 p.m. Wednesday.

Police responded to the first floor of the building and detected the smell of burnt marijuana. Police knocked on the suspected door twice and were about to leave, when the resident of the room walked down the hallway and asked the officer if there was a problem.

The officer told the man why he was at the residence hall and the resident told the officer that he was at the Highland Market and did not know about anyone smoking marijuana in his room. The man’s eyes were red and watery, and the officer could smell marijuana on his clothes.

The resident admitted that, while he did not have any marijuana on him, there was a small amount in his room. He went into the room and removed a wooden box that contained the marijuana and rolling papers and then handed the paraphernalia to the officer.

By the bed, the officer noticed a heat gun with a filtering device attached to it. The resident told him that it was used to help remove the odor of marijuana from the room.

Two students were smoking marijuana on the benches in front of the Marroney Theatre, 1025 N. Olive Road, at 10:23 p.m. Wednesday.

Police could smell marijuana coming from a man and woman on the benches and, as the officer approached them, the man muttered “”shit”” under his breath. Their eyes were red and glassy. The two had a package of tobacco and rolling papers between them and told the officers that they were smoking cigarettes.

The officer then asked what they were smoking earlier and the man admitted that they were smoking marijuana. They both told the officer that the Tupperware container on the bench had marijuana inside.

The man told the officer that they had finished smoking the marijuana from their pipe a couple of minutes before police arrived.

He said he bought the marijuana from a friend for $50. The woman confirmed everything.

The two students were entered into the diversion program for drugs and narcotics.

Police arrested a man for shoplifting from the UofA Bookstore, 1209 E. University Blvd., at 4:19 p.m. Wednesday.

The loss prevention officer told the University of Arizona Police Department that he saw the man remove a price tag from a “”Graduate Texts in Math-Algebra”” book and leave the store without paying for it. The man made no attempt to hide the book in a backpack or shopping bag.

The reporting party stopped the man outside the bookstore and the suspect followed him back into the store without any resistance.

The man told the officer that he did not intend to steal the book but that he knew it had useful information in it so he scratched off the price tag and took the book. He said that he would not keep it for long and would return it when he was finished with it.

When the officer asked if he intended to steal the book and sell it back later for money, the man said, “”No! You think I’m a thief?!””

The man had no means to pay for the stolen book and eventually admitted to stealing it. The officer cited him for shoplifting and then released him.

After signing the citation the man asked, “”So, can I keep the book?”” The officer told him no.

The book, valued at $58.31, was returned to bookstore personnel.

A woman reported her necklace lost or missing on Wednesday.

The woman told police that she lost her Tiffany’s diamond necklace, worth $2,000, in the parking lot of the Chase bank on the corner of East Second Street and North Park Avenue.

She told the officers that the necklace was silver in color, had several diamonds studded in it and two parabola shapes in the center.

She told the officers that she was only filing a report for insurance purposes.

Two men were issued citations for skateboarding at the Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering building, 1130 N. Mountain Ave., on Tuesday.

A police aide informed the officers that the men were doing skateboard tricks and that these men had previous contact with UAPD for skateboard tricks, or “”hotdogging.””

The men admitted to speaking with UAPD before about the tricks, but also told the officers that they came to the AME building because it was well lit and they were videotaping themselves.

After warning the men about the “”zero tolerance”” policy regarding skateboard tricks, the officer impounded their boards and issued two civil parking and transportation citations for each of them: a $25 skateboard impound fee and a $20 violation of prohibited actions fee.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.