Soundoff: Giffords will give insight with book

Finally there is a memoir worth reading. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords has been working on a joint memoir with her husband and astronaut Mark Kelly and, according to the Arizona Daily Star, it’s set to come out Nov. 15. Not only will the book detail the admirable, and unbelievable, recovery of the Democrat who survived a gunman’s attack, but it will also detail her political career, as well as the career of her husband while he was on the Space Shuttle Endeavour.

Amid all the drama of the infamous attack, Americans have been clamoring to get updates on her condition. When the first photo of Giffords during her recovery surfaced, the nation was touched and a community’s pain began to heal. When something horrific like that fateful day happens, it’s only human to find comfort and rejoice in the recovery of those involved.

This book can finally give the community the insight it’s needed in order to mend and move forward. It can certainly be said that this political memoir will be better and more anticipated than it’s most recent predecessor; I’m looking at you Dick Cheney. Here’s to a book someone will actually want to read. See you later, celebrity memoirs about the “obstacles” you’ve overcome and things that don’t matter, we’ve finally got a book with substance.

— Storm Byrd is the Perspectives editor. He can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.