Brief: Stoops hires new assistant coach

Stoops hires new assistant coach

The Arizona football team is coming off its first bowl victory since 1998, thanks in part to the success of Sonny Dykes’s spread-offense and his philosophy that came from Texas Tech’s system.

So when Arizona head coach Mike Stoops was forced to replace Dana Dimel after the coach left to take a job at Kansas State, he hired a coach with a similar background to Dykes’.

Stoops hired Seth Littrell, 30, away from Texas Tech to coach tight ends, fullbacks and running backs this season, Arizona announced Monday.

Littrell played under Stoops at Oklahoma and has previous experience working with a few current UA coaches, including Dykes, offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh and outside receivers coach David Nichol

“”Man, I’m excited,”” Littrell said in a press release. “”It’s a pleasure to get with coach Stoops. I had a great relationship with him as an OU player and have watched the progress of Arizona’s program. It will be good to get back with Sonny, Bedenbaugh and Nichol.””

Littrell is thought to be a good fit for the Wildcats, who have taken the throw-first, spread-offense mentality from Texas Tech and added the balance of a rushing attack. Littrell spent the last four seasons as the Red Raiders’ running backs coach.

“”I am a running backs coach so it’s nice to run the ball, so I think maintaining a balance like Arizona had last year will be a key,”” Littrell said.

Littrell, a four-year letter winner at Oklahoma, was a team captain for the Sooners when the team won the national title in 2000, and played under current Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach when he was the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma in 1999.

Litrell will make his coaching debut away from the Big XII Conference when he arrives at Arizona.

“”I’m’ just eager to get around this program, work hard and win some games,”” Littrell said. “”It’s an honor and privilege to join the Wildcat coaching staff.””