Police Beat: Nov. 12

Missing dogs can be frustrating

A man was arrested for disorderly conduct (unreasonable noise) on Tuesday at the UA Main Library.

At 12:10 a.m., a University of Arizona Police Department officer went to the Main Library after receiving notice of a man yelling obscenities and spotted him on the north side of the library. When the man saw the officer, the man took off running westbound. Two other police officers caught him on the corner of Fourth Street and Vine Avenue.

One of them asked the man for identification. After running a warrants check on that name, police noticed he had two outstanding warrants from the Arizona Department of Public Safety and the Pima County Sheriff’s Office.

The first officer went inside the Main Library and talked to a library staff member who reported the man. The staff member told police that the man had been in the Information Commons area yelling things like “”motherfucker”” and “”fuck”” multiple times.

Another employee, who also had seen the man in the library, told police that she saw the man stand up from a computer near the entrance of the Information Commons and appear to yell at an “”imaginary person.”” She added that the obscenities he was screaming were not directed towards anyone but that his actions frightened her.

After speaking to the two employees who witnessed the man’s strange behavior, the officer went to talk to the man. The man said that at about midnight he was sitting at a computer in the Information Commons looking for a missing dog. He said that he then became frustrated that he could not find his dog. Because of this frustration, he stood up and yelled inside the library.

The man said he does not remember the things he yelled. He said he exited the Main Library, saw a UAPD officer approach and thought he was “”probably in trouble”” due to the fact he was yelling, so he began to walk away to avoid the officer. When they came to the intersection where the other officers were going to detain him, he decided to stop walking.

Police transported the man to Pima Country Jail, where he was booked without incident.

‘Sturdy’ cable lock still not good enough

A motorized bicycle was stolen from the Main Library sometime between 8 p.m. on Monday and 7:45 a.m. the next morning.

The owner reported that he had last seen his bicycle when he came out of the Main Library on Monday at 8 p.m. He noticed that the back tire was flat, and his bicycle was no longer able to work. He did not have an air pump or money to inflate the tire, so he decided to leave it overnight. When he returned on Tuesday at 7:45 a.m., the bicycle was gone. He told police he had locked the bicycle with a sturdy cable lock and a heavy-duty carbon lock that was wrapped around the frame and both tires. He said the serial number for both the bicycle and the motor were not available.

Lost lunch found

A CatTran employee turned in a lunch pouch with an icepack in it and a pair of Nike Air Max shoes to UAPD on Tuesday. He turned them in at about 12:25 p.m. that day, and they were placed into property and evidence.

Union employee robbed at work

A woman’s driver’s license and $100 in cash were stolen out of her purse sometime between 8 a.m. and noon on Tuesday.

She had been at work in the Student Union Memorial Center that morning and left her belongings, including her purse, in the area where all the workers kept their personal items. The woman said that only employees are allowed to enter the area. Her purse and wallet were not stolen, but she noticed that her license and cash were missing from her wallet. There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.