Pac-12 Football power rankings week six

NORTH

1. Stanford

The Cardinal is flying high after laying the beat down on Arizona last Saturday. Kevin Hogan had only two incompletions and the running game piled up over 300 yards as Stanford’s offense scored on every possession to win 55-17.

2. Cal

The other Bay Area school had its hands full against Wazzu before narrowly escaping with a 34-28 win. Three-straight ranked teams to end October before a matchup against Oregon can either kill the Bears’ season or catapult them into the national spotlight.

3. Oregon

While it did beat the Buffs by 17, the Oregon of old definitely would have imposed its will earlier in the game. Oregon could sneak back into the top 25 with wins over the Washington schools before a huge matchup of two-loss teams against ASU.

4. Wazzu

The Cougars are a few plays away from being 4-0 instead of 2-2, but they need to put it all together. If they can pull off the upset against a vulnerable Oregon team, they could possibly make a bowl game.

5. Washington

The Huskies face USC this week in what will be their third matchup with a ranked opponent already. Washington almost beat Boise State and Cal, so the Trojans cannot afford to overlook them.

6. Oregon State

Coming off of a bye, the Beavers have three-straight seemingly winnable games on their hands. Their passing game needs to get going, however, as Seth Collins has been quite underwhelming so far throwing the ball.

SOUTH

1. Utah

The consensus fifth team in the Pac-12 South is now fifth in the nation as the Utes moved up during their bye. A matchup against other Pac-12 surprise team Cal could prove that wins over Michigan and Oregon were not flukes.

2. UCLA

After thrashing one Arizona school, UCLA could not keep the momentum going, and the Sun Devils capitalized. The running game tallied only 62 yards and could not get off the field.

3. USC

No. 17 USC had a bye last weekend and face the Washington Huskies this week at home. After that, it faces Notre Dame, Utah and then Cal on Halloween, so October might not be a treat for the Trojans. 

4. ASU

ASU is not giving up just yet, as they held the ball for over 37 minutes and pulled off a shocker against UCLA last Saturday. Mike Bercovici accounted for over 300 yards and three scores as the Devils avenged the previous week’s disappointment against USC.

5. Colorado

Although they lost to the Ducks last week, there is room for optimism. They still have games against Arizona, Wazzu and Oregon State, so the Buffs might go bowling this winter.

6. Arizona

Dating back to last season’s conference championship, the Wildcats have been outscored 162-60, and Arizona quarterbacks have gone 36-87 in those games. What was once a season filled with optimism is fading faster by the day, as Arizona has now gotten blown out by back-to-back opponents.

Follow Ivan Leonard on Twitter.