Local flavor served fresh at Bobo’s

Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Steve Hughes cooks behind a plate blueberry and banana pancakes at Bobos Restaurant on Tuesday, April 6. The restaurant is known for serving pancakes that flow over the plates.
    Lisa Beth Earle
    Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Steve Hughes cooks behind a plate blueberry and banana pancakes at Bobo’s Restaurant on Tuesday, April 6. The restaurant is known for serving pancakes that flow over the plates.

Bobo’s is something of a Tucson staple. The diner-style joint has been around for 25 years, serving up simple, delicious food in generous portions. Tucson locals and travelers alike frequent Bobo’s for a breakfast or lunch break, and despite its limited hours of 5 a.m. to 2 p.m. daily, it seems it is always busy. My parents ate at Bobo’s during their college years and now I do the same. It’s a no-frills joint with great grub and interesting people.

If you’re hungry, Bobo’s will cure you. Offering all the fixins — huge portions of steamy breakfast potatoes, eggs cooked to order, toast smothered in melted butter, pancakes twice the size of your face — Bobo’s delivers outstanding portions cooked right in front of you. The pancakes are a must-have. Available in regular, chocolate chip, apple, banana, pecan and blueberry, they are so large they hang off the plate. If you order a single pancake you won’t need anything else. The coffee is strong and brewed fresh, and your cup will never be empty with an attentive staff, refilling almost every sip. There is something about the homestyle cooking at Bobo’s that puts diners at ease and sends them back to something of a childlike state — maybe it’s their slogan: “”Just like Mom’s.””

If breakfast doesn’t sound appealing, there’s also a entire lunch menu. They feature all the diner classics: tuna and turkey sandwiches, burgers, fries, grilled cheese, chicken fried steak, chicken friend chicken, salads and soup. Their straightforward fare is appreciated by the clientele who return each week for a burger and fries.

One of the things about Bobo’s that you can’t find elsewhere is the interesting clientele. There’s the obligatory businessman grabbing breakfast with a coworker or the array of older gentlemen reading the newspaper or playing cards. You’ll also find travelers who have stumbled upon the hole-in-the-wall restaurant and college kids, who presumably live nearby, and have wandered in hung over and ready for a good meal.

The crowd at Bobo’s is ever changing, but the vibe stays the same. The faces are friendly and kind. You can make conversation with your server, the cooks or even your fellow patrons. Try that at an IHOP or Denny’s and you may get the cold shoulder. Maybe it’s the tiny space, or maybe it’s the community that’s grown over the years — either way, Bobo’s is a great, simple breakfast experience.

The familiarity of this simple Tucson classic is part of the appeal. The friendly staff and regulars strengthen the allure, and their food seals the deal. If you’ve never experienced Bobo’s, it’s worth stopping by. They offer delivery to a limited area on Sundays, but Bobo’s is better enjoyed in person. Hot, fast and fresh, Bobo’s is a Tucson classic.