The ’90s are alive in Portland for one last season

Behind the scenes photo from the set of Portlandia Season 6. Photo courtesy of Portlandia.

I’m always surprised to find some people still find the term and the concept of “hipster” hilarious. Being called one many times through my short life, I was always searching for meaning in this title with such vague connotations. 

One day, I stumbled upon “Portlandia” on a quest to find a new comedy to watch on Netflix, and finally was able to identify myself as a weirdo. Leaving behind haunting thoughts of what society thinks of me, I finally immersed myself in the best city in the world — at least better than Seattle — for the first time since visiting at age five, and I befriended Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein living the dream of the ’90s as various lovable couples.

About a week ago, though, I made the discovery that an episode of the new season following the aforementioned had already been released online. In it is revealed what I assume will be one of the major plot lines for at least the beginning of this season, but I won’t give any spoilers. This is listed as episode two of season six, and is an adventure of time, space, scientists and wacky doctors, for cohabiting friends Armisen and Brownstein each navigating existential crises that ultimately lead back to not needing anything but each other.

Returning to the real premiere of season six last night, we focus on just one of the other “Portlandia” couples, who decide not to “get the gear,” and experience Pickathon from the comfort of their couch with more of the show’s usual quirky technology. One returning guest star is “Orange is the New Black’s” Natasha Lyonne, who tags along with Brownstein to the festival to “go boy crazy!”

What would a music festival be without some uncomfortably dressed females obsessing over a man-bun, and what would “Portlandia” be without conflict between a well-meaning couple and the cornucopia of cultures that is a city in the PNW? Well, apparently not enough, as the premiere adds the most extensive music feature thus far, and even a look inside a band’s (faux) feud over the favor of Sean Penn.

What to expect this season: the return of all our favorite wacky Portlanders; old and new guest stars such as Louis C.K., Jillian Belland Steve Buscemi, ventures to other cities, “weirdo beach” and break ups that may or may not last, as usual.

Follow Gretchyn Kaylor on Twitter.