Police Beat: Oct. 20

The last stand, while lying down

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on patrol near the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house on Oct. 10 at 5:25 p.m. when they observed a man lying on the ground.

Officers spoke with the man and asked him if he was in need of medical attention. The man replied, “”No. I’m drunk, tired and I’m just sleeping here.””

Officers advised the man that he was trespassing on university property and asked him to leave the area. The man responded, “”I am Native American, this is my land, and I’m not going anywhere.”” Officers again requested that the man vacate the area but the man replied, “”I already told you, I’m not going anywhere. Take me to jail.”” Officers placed the man in handcuffs and transported him to Pima County Jail where he was booked on charges of loitering.

Do you know the drinking age? Or your age, for that matter?

UAPD officers were on patrol in the area of the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Student Center on Oct. 10 at 9:30 p.m. when they observed a woman who appeared to be sleeping in a parking lot.

According to police, the woman was sleeping on the ground between a car and a wall. Officers made contact with her and noted the strong odor of intoxicants coming from her mouth as well as slowed motor skills.

The woman appeared to be underage so officers asked her how old she was. The woman told police she was of legal drinking age. Officers asked her what age that was and she replied that she was 18. Officers told her that was not the legal age and she replied that she was 22. The woman then gave police a birth year of 1908. Officers told the woman that she did not appear to be 101 years old. She then gave police a new birth year of 1998. Officers advised the woman that she did not appear to be 11 years old either. The woman gave a final birth year of 1988 but a records check of her name revealed a birth year of 1990.

She was cited on charges of minor in possession and giving a false report to a law enforcement officer. The incident was referred to the Dean of Students Office and the woman was released on scene.

Party in Vegas! Wait I’m in Arizona?

UAPD officers went to Cochise Residence Hall on Oct. 10 at 10:39 p.m. in reference to an assistance call. Upon arrival, officers found Tucson Fire Department emergency medical personnel evaluating two women in the hallway outside of one of the woman’s room.

Both women admitted to drinking vodka and police observed that both women had bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and the strong odor of intoxicants coming from their mouths as they spoke.

Officers asked the owner of the room of they could enter and she agreed. The other woman was identified with a Nevada driver’s license as a non-university student. The owner of the room then gave the hall director permission to retrieve identification from her purse. The hall director removed two North Carolina driver’s licenses from the woman’s purse, both of which were fake. Officers asked the woman for her date of birth but she was unable to articulate it.

She also told police that she believed she was currently in Las Vegas. She was able to contact her father over the phone and he confirmed the woman’s birth date to police. Both women were cited on charges of minor in possession and the owner of the room was additionally cited on two charges of possession of a fictitious driver’s license. The incident was referred to the Dean of Students Office and both women were released on scene.

Jagermeister drinker yells obscenities

UAPD officers responded to the area of Sixth Street and Park Avenue on Oct. 10 at 10:41 p.m. in reference to reports of a man yelling obscenities.

Upon arrival, officers made contact with the man and he identified himself with a Florida driver’s license. Police told the man why they were questioning him and he told them that he had been in his room at the Coronado Residence Hall all night.

A witness positively identified the man as the individual who had been yelling obscenities. According to police, the man had slurred speech, bloodshot eyes and the strong odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth.

The man then admitted to drinking Jagermeister during the evening. He was cited on charges of minor in possession and released on scene. A friend escorted the man to his room.

Fraternal fighting fellow flees fraternity house

UAPD officers responded to the Sigma Chi fraternity house at on Oct. 10 at 11:20 p.m. in reference to a report of an assault.

Upon arrival, officers met with the fraternity member who reported the incident. According to the man, the fraternity house used to be occupied by the Kappa Sigma fraternity. Several Kappa Sigma members had been at the Sigma Chi house and were asked to leave. As they were being escorted out of the house, one Kappa Sigma member shoved the man and then fled the area.

Police located a group of seven men in the area of First Street and Cherry Avenue. The man who was pushed was unable to identify any of the seven men as the individual who had assaulted him. Police have no suspects at this time.