Tucson Area Music Awards present fun-filled festivities

From the Emmys to the VMAs, award shows are unavoidable this time of year.

But instead of watching something hundreds of miles away where the guests are untouchable and the center of the latest news scandal, why not check out something free and local?

Tonight, Tucson Weekly presents the 17th Annual Tucson Area Music Awards (TAMMIES) at the Rialto Theatre.

“”It’s a play on the word Grammy here of course,”” said Jeb Schoonover, event organizer. “”It’s our hometown version of the Grammys.””

Guests can expect performances from local artists Sergio Mendoza Y La Orkesta, Andrew Collberg, Acorn Bcorn, HAIRSPRAYFIREANDGIRLS, Key Ingredients of African Soul and Howe Gelb.

The TAMMIES offers a wide variety of awards from “”The Big Stuff”” to “”Musician Awards.””

Tucson Weekly has paired up with some local businesses like Eegees, Kon Tiki and the Tucson Tamale Company to offer guests free food at the free awards show.

“”The Tammies is a big party,”” Schoonover said. “”We started trying to make it not like a traditional awards show. We kind of wanted to take a downplay to this air of competition and instead make it a party atmosphere.””

The variety of Tucson music being awarded is vast, from blues to electronic. There’s even a “”Best Cover Band”” award.  

With such a large variety of music being honored there’s bound to be music for everyone.

“”This is an event designed to honor the incredible work that the members of the local community do,”” said Tucson Weekly editor-in-chief Jimmy Boegle on their website. “”We want to recognize the amazing work being done by our music community.””

Schoonover hopes those new to the Tucson entertainment scene will seize this opportunity to glimpse what their city has to offer.

“”Come down and enjoy the festive party atmosphere and then see a bunch of really great music,”” Schoonover said. “”This is a nice way for UA students or people new to Tucson to come on down and really see a new side of Tucson and be part of the music scene.””

The winners of the awards will be announced and printed in tomorrow’s Tucson Weekly.