Scorching Devils can seal division for lacrosse team

In a game with major playoff implications, the No. 11 Arizona men’s club lacrosse team squares off against No. 18 ASU tomorrow night at 7 at Scottsdale Community College.

The Laxcats (9-4, 4-2 Western Collegiate Lacrosse League) can win the South Division of the WCLL outright if they beat the Sun Devils (7-5, 5-2) by at least two goals.

If the Laxcats beat the Sun Devils and No. 5 UC-San Diego takes down San Diego State, the three squads would be tied atop the division. Since ASU beat the Tritons by one and UCSD took down Arizona by the same score earlier in the season, a two-goal win would give the Laxcats the best margin of victory, the division and a home league playoff game next week.

The top two teams from each division reach the WCLL playoffs, meaning the Laxcats likely need a win to clinch either spot.

“”This is an all or nothing game for them,”” said Arizona senior close defender Carson Parmelee. “”They are going to come out pumped up, and we need to do our best to control the game.””

Parmelee said ASU is a streaky team that plays on emotion.

“”ASU is a high-flying team,”” he said. “”We need to come out and score some goals early and try to take control of the game.””

Arizona head coach Kenny Broschart said that ASU is a dangerous team, so his squad needs to come out strong.

“”They are an aggressive team that feeds the crease well,”” Broschart said. “”They are a scrappy team that plays out of control.””

The Laxcats will try to execute the same game plan they have all season by putting pressure on the Devils’ defense and controlling the ball with long possessions on offense.

Parmelee said that ASU has the strength of scoring close assisted goals in the crease and that the Laxcats are going to try to keep them outside.

“”We need to keep them away from the crease,”” Broschart said. “”If we can keep them shooting shots from the outside, that would be good.””

Broschart said the Laxcats will count on their offense tomorrow, a unit averaging 12 goals per game.

“”We need to keep the game in control and score some goals,”” Broschart said. “”We need to maintain possession as much as we can and keep them from scoring.””

He also said senior goalie Charles Salemi will need to play well.

“”Charlie needs to stay focused and he will have good games just like he always does,”” Broschart said.