What is the cancellation of MTV’s ‘Skins’ really about?

When I found out the U.S. version of “”Skins”” was canceled on MTV, I can’t lie — I wasn’t surprised. But I also was interested.

When “”Skins”” debuted on MTV earlier this year, it seemed like the next edgy thing. MTV has broadcast shows like “”16 and Pregnant”” and “”True Life”” with such confidence, who would’ve thought that America wasn’t ready to see a fictional show about underage kids being bad?

But then if it actually happened, like in “”16 and Pregnant,”” viewers don’t have to take responsibility for it, per se. We can still tell ourselves that those shows were just the result of one individual’s misguided decision.

A show like “”Skins,”” however, turns that trend of underage kids doing drugs and having sex into a phenomenon that must be accepted as real in order to work on screen as a highly-stylized drama.

So I guess we’re not ready to accept that a lot of kids do irresponsible, dangerous things because society encourages them. But we’re happy to look at that one failure and be glad they’re just the “”anomaly.””

Lewd sex acts and kids? I can see what made advertisers yank their ads during “”Skins.”” No worries, “”Jersey Shore”” is a much more wholesome alternative!