Students to march for babies’ sake

UA Babies? No, it’s not the best insult ASU could come up with, and no, we’re not talking about baby geniuses attending classes with you — it’s something much better!

This week, Arizona Phi Beta Lambda is working in partnership with UA’s March of Dimes Collegiate Counsel, Deca, and the Arizona Blue Chip program to present March of Dimes week. One of the largest charities in the United States, the March of Dimes’ self-proclaimed mission is to “”improve the health of babies by preventing birth defects, premature birth, and infant mortality.””

As part of the week’s event, students will be collecting change on campus, but the main event is the March for Babies — although it’s doubtful real babies will be in attendance, baby lovers and former babies themselves should be quite visible. The march will take place on Nov. 19. The walk is intended to draw attention to the cause.

Students who wish to participate can meet at 4 p.m. in front of the Student Union Memorial Center on the University Mall. The students organizing ask those who hope to participate to bring at least a $5 donation, but larger donations will be greatly appreciated.

“”We encourage all members of the community to participate,”” said Chris Pings, a member of the Arizona Blue Chip program and Phi Beta Lambda. “”We’re hoping this event is really successful.””

Be on the lookout today for volunteers collecting donations — students, not babies. Any loose change helps. For information about the event can be found at www.uaforbabies.com. All proceeds raised will be donated by Phi Beta Lambda to the Tucson March of Dimes office on behalf of all those who choose to participate.