Police Beat

A resident and a resident assistant of Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall, 1010 N. Park Ave., reported to UAPD that they found a plastic bag of marijuana at 10:45 p.m. Tuesday.

The RA showed an officer a small ziptop pouch with black and gold skulls on it containing a green, leafy substance. The resident who found the marijuana said she found the bag in front of the girls restroom in the second-floor hallway.

The officer took the marijuana into evidence.

Someone stole two bottles of prescription medication from a resident of La Cienega Residence Hall, 621 N. Highland Ave., on Tuesday.

The bottles’ owner told an officer that someone cut the screen on her window, reached inside and stole the bottles from the window sill. The window had been left partially open and was wide enough to enter.

The medications were Ketoconazole, taken for infections, and an unknown muscle relaxant the owner takes for cramping.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

Police arrested a man for two outstanding warrants in a parking lot at 414 N. Cherry Ave. at 8 a.m. Tuesday.

Police saw the man sitting on a curb next to what appeared to be a 40-ounce aluminum beverage can in a paper bag. Police asked the man about the drink. The man said, “”This can is nothing,”” and poured out the contents, according to reports.

An officer smelled the odor of alcohol. The beverage’s color, texture and froth were consistent with beer.

A records check revealed the man had an Arizona Department of Corrections warrant for a parole violation and a Tucson Police Department warrant for failure to appear in court.

The man was arrested and transported to Pima County Jail.

A university employee called the University of Arizona Police Department to report a trash can fire at the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity house, 1449 N. Cherry Ave., at 3:38 p.m. Monday.

When UAPD arrived, a Tucson Fire Department truck was on the scene. No flames were visible in the dumpster in the west parking lot of the house.

Police spoke with some of the fraternity members, who said they did not know how the fire started.

An officer then talked to the employee, who said that he came out of the plumbing building just north of the house and saw smoke in the air.

He said that the flames were 6 feet high, so he grabbed a fire extinguisher and doused the flames and closed the lid to prevent further air flow to the fire.

TFD successfully extinguished the fire and determined that arson was not a factor.

Police arrested a man for criminal trespassing and carrying a concealed weapon at U of A Liquors, 1002 E. Sixth St., at 1:48 p.m. Monday.

Police saw the man cross East Sixth Street against the no-crossing signal and pulled into the parking lot of U of A Liquors to talk to him.

Soon after the man entered the store, an employee ran out and flagged down the officer. The clerk said that this man was told not to return four times in the past two weeks.

When the man left the store, an officer stopped him and had him sit down on the ground and remove his backpack.

Officers asked the man if he had any weapons on him. The man said no and consented to a search of his backpack. Inside the front pocket, an officer found a wood-handled dagger-type knife with a 5-inch blade sharpened on both sides. The man said he carried the knife to protect himself.

The employee decided to press charges. The man was cited and released for carrying a concealed weapon and for criminal trespassing in the second degree.

The man was agitated about the citation and threw it into a trash can before leaving the scene.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.