Campus Chic: Friendship-inspired fashion

There’s no better way to make a bold fashion statement than by wearing sparkles or bright red, and this fashionista did both. Xinyi Wang, a studio art freshman, said she likes to match her shoes with her top. For this outfit, she matched:

1. a tan sweater
    2. nude-toned shoes with
    3. a pop of color via a red Furla handbag

Not only does the purse have the shiny, wet look, but it’s also covered in sparkles for a glamorous touch. Since the handbag is her statement piece, she chose a simple gold necklace to tie the look together.

Wang made a unique decision to pair leggings with denim shorts, something not many people can pull off. The outfit becomes more academic-friendly because it doesn’t bare all. The leggings are a classy touch, and their shiny texture picks up the sparkles on her bag and studded ankle booties by Valse Maître.

Wang said she makes all of her clothing purchases with a fashion-forward friend. Surprisingly, Wang didn’t pay much attention to the type of clothes she wore before meeting her shopping buddy.

But it is obvious Wang now knows how to put a fashionable ensemble together on her own. She said she likes simple combinations, like pairing a bright bag with neutral colors. She described her personal style as “lovely and a little sexy.”

How she rocked it

Wang had the stylish idea of pairing bright pieces with neutrals. Most fashion-savvy ladies like to pair a statement piece and an understated piece when they put an outfit together, and Wang is right on track with today’s up and coming trend: ­pairing neon colors with lighter tones. This is a great way to accentuate an outfit with a punch of color, and it will work great in the springtime.