Ex-Wildcat creates scholarship fund for camp

Former Arizona men’s basketball guard Damon Stoudamire, currently playing for the San Antonio Spurs, has set up a scholarship fund to help youths in financial need for this summer’s Lute Olson basketball camp, the UA announced Monday.

The fund will allow youngsters to receive full or partial scholarships to the camp, depending on the campers’ needs.

The camp for athletes ages 9-17 is split into two sessions in McKale Center: session one is from June 15-19 and session two is from June 22-26. The campers in both sessions are instructed by UA head coach Lute Olson and his staff from 8 a.m. to noon each day of the respective camps. The cost is $390 for commuters and $450 for residents staying in the dorms on campus.

Any campers interested in the Stoudamire scholarship should submit a one-page letter explaining why they would like to attend the camp and then have a parent or legal guardian submit an additional one-page letter describing the need for the financial aid.

Both letters and a completed camp brochure are required for scholarship consideration.

“”The parents’ letter must tell us why they need the financial aid, not just that their child loves basketball,””said Marissa Elias-Castaneda, Arizona men’s basketball office specialist.

Before the youth camps, Olson and his staff will host the high school team camp in McKale on June 6-8.

They will conduct instructional sessions to four divisions: large varsity, small varsity, junior varsity and freshmen.

Brian Peabody, coach of the 2008 Arizona 5A State Champion Ironwood Ridge High School boys basketball team, and Gary Ernst, coach of the seven-time state champion Mesa Mountain boys team – where incoming UA guard Brendon Lavender currently attends – both expressed similar thoughts about the camp.

“”Team camp is a great place for our team to get together, bond and prepare for the upcoming season,”” Peabody said through the UA. “”It is an excellent opportunity for our teams to see the campus and play on the floor at McKale.””

The entry fee is $500 per team. The Stoudamire scholarship doesn’t cover the fees of the high school camp, said Jesse Mermuys, coordinator of UA men’s basketball operations.

“”It is an excellent team camp, with good competition,”” Ernst said through the UA. “”Our team enjoyed playing in the camp.””

How to Register

By Fax
    621-2202

By Mail
    Lute Olson Basketball Camp
    University of Arizona Men’s Basketball
    1 National Championship Dr., Rm. 242
    Tucson, AZ 85721

For more information, visit Olsonwildcatcamp.com