Shooting stuns Sam Hughes

Tucson Police Department officers don shoe protectors before entering a house at the southeast corner of East Third Street and North Norton Avenue. A victim described as a young man in his early 20s was found dead inside the house yesterday.

A young man was shot and killed yesterday afternoon in a house five blocks east of the UA campus, prompting a brief lockdown of a nearby elementary school and frightening residents of the typically quiet residential neighborhood.

Paramedics pronounced a young man, estimated to be in his early 20s, dead at the scene inside a residence on the southeast corner of East Third Street and North Norton Avenue. A resident of the house was detained without incident immediately after police arrived.

Police are not seeking any other suspects in connection with the shooting, said Dallas Wilson, Tucson Police Department public information officer.

The names of neither the suspect nor the victim had been released at press time last night.

TPD received a 911 call reporting the shooting at 1:51 p.m., Wilson said.

TPD advised a lockdown of Sam Hughes Elementary School, 700 N. Wilson Ave., at 2:06 p.m. The lockdown ended at 2:15.

Parents escorted their children home from the school as TPD cornered off the entire 2400 block of East Third Street, from which the UA Mall is visible, and homicide detectives and a forensics team moved in.

The owner

Before people think, they do awful things. We need to know how to express ourselves when we’re upset, without destroying each other.

-Mrs. James Anthony,
    Sam Hughes resident

of the residence arrived at the scene at 2:20 p.m. The Wildcat could not confirm yesterday whether the owner of the house is also a resident.

“”I think it’s really sad,”” said Penny Riley, a public health education senior who has lived in the Sam Hughes neighborhood for three months. “”(This) is a great neighborhood. Something like this happens, it really throws you for a loop.””

The shooting appeared to have taken place inside the residence, Wilson said. Events and motives precipitating the shooting are unknown.

“”This is a pretty safe neighborhood,”” said Beth Hunter, an unemployed teacher who has lived in the area for five months.

The incident made her feel “”pretty unsafe,”” she said.

Jeff Fitzgerald, a history senior who lives three houses away from the crime scene, said he also believed the neighborhood was quiet and safe until his residence was burglarized in February.

“”The first day I moved in, somebody broke in and stole my laptop,”” he said. “”Since then, nothing’s happened.””

Longtime residents were similarly shocked at the violence that occurred so close to their homes.

“”Guns are too handy,”” said Mrs. James Anthony, who has lived in the Sam Hughes neighborhood for 50 years. “”Before people think, they do awful things. We need to know how to express ourselves when we’re upset, without destroying each other.””