Police Beat: Nov. 9

What marijuana, officer?

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall at 12:20 a.m. on Friday in response to a report of the smell of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. The officer knocked on the door of the room and two of the residents answered. The men exited the room and spoke with the officer in the hallway. One of the men said he didn’t know anything about the smell and refused to speak to the officer further. The other man agreed to speak to the officer privately. The man had bloodshot and watery eyes. He told the officer that he and his roommate had smoked marijuana inside their room about 20 minutes earlier. The man said he was the owner of the marijuana and the vaporizer they used to smoke. He refused to tell the officer where he got the marijuana. The man gave the officer the remaining marijuana, a grinder and the vaporizer. Both men were referred to the Dean of Students Office’s diversion program.

Hard classes lead to hard drugs

A UAPD officer went to Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall at 4:45 a.m. on Friday. The officer met with a group of students who reported that their friend had been drinking a lot of alcohol and had taken oxycodone, cocaine, Concerta, Adderall and Xanax. One of the friends said the man had no intention of hurting himself and he was just stressed out because his classes were too hard. The friend said they had tried to take the man to the hospital but he ran away once they got there.

The officer went to the man’s room. The man answered the door and identified himself. The officer noted that the man did not smell of intoxicants and was speaking clearly. The man’s eyes did seem to be sunken in and were darker around the sockets, the officer noticed. The man admitted to drinking and said he “may have done a line of cocaine … or nine lines.” He said he had no intention of hurting himself and had only taken the drugs because his classes were extremely hard. Tucson Fire Department paramedics arrived to evaluate the man. The man said he took the pills throughout the day on Thursday and began drinking around 10 p.m. The paramedics recommended the man go to the hospital but he declined.

The officer informed the man about the different services provided by Campus Health Service and that the dean of students may contact him about the situation.

Incendiary vandalism

A UAPD officer was on patrol on Warren Avenue at 8 a.m. Friday when he noticed graffiti on the south side of a UA-owned warehouse. The word “FLARE” was written in white spray paint on the south wall of the building. The officer photographed the damage and notified UA Facilities Management. Victim’s rights forms were mailed to the UA.