Four Wildcats earn indoor honors

Jake Arnold’s school-record-breaking performance in the heptathlon led the Arizona men’s track and field team to a 14th place finish at the NCAA Indoor Championships on March 10.

Arnold’s strong effort on the final day of the two-day event earned him second place with a school-record-setting total of 5,909 points.

Seniors Shawn Best and Adam Kuehl, who was performing in front of family, garnered indoor All-America honors in the shot put. Senior Obed Mutanya also received All-America honors for his fifth-place finish in the 3,000-meters.

“”It’s always fun having mom and pops cheering you on,”” said Kuehl, who set his personal record in the shot put with a throw of 19.40m, which earned him fifth place.

Best’s personal-record throw of 19.36m placed him right behind Kuehl in the event at sixth.

Kuehl continues great season in Willie Williams Classic

As Arizona opened the outdoor season at the Willie Williams Classic this weekend, Kuehl was one of eight Wildcats to qualify for the May 25-26 NCAA West Region Championships.

“”This is my last year, I need to get things done early on,”” said Kuehl, who won the discus competition with a throw of 62.29m.

The women’s team won the 4x100m and 4x400m relays, with times of 45.20 and 3:47.84, respectively. The 4x100m relay team of Lanesha Pugh, Marquita Taylor, Ashley Gadson and Nikki Martin regionally qualified with their time.

Senior Dan Cook won the 110m hurdles with a personal-best 13.91-second time, but failed to quailfy for the West Region Championships because the wind speed was above the NCAA limit.

“”There’s always a little disappointment,”” Cook said. “”My time was far beyond the past. I’m not too worried about it.””

Li to coach U.S. team

Associate head coach James Li was selected to be the head manager for the U.S. track and field team in the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.