Police Beat: Feb. 14

Crazy collision

Two students bicycling on the UA Mall collided at 11:08 a.m. on Thursday. Other students getting out of class saw the accident and decided to call the University of Arizona Police Department because neither bicyclist moved for a minute. When officers arrived at the scene, both students had gotten up and inspected their injuries. One of the students involved in the accident had cuts and bruising on her knees and arms. The other student suddenly became dizzy, and had scrapes on his hands. Both parties dispersed and neither student was given a ticket nor a ride to the hospital. None of the student’s bicycles were damaged.

D Chi domestic violence

Police officers arrested a member of the Delta Chi fraternity because he was throwing his girlfriend around and cursing her out at 2:18 a.m. on Friday. The girlfriend told officers that she was upstairs having a conversation with her friend, and her boyfriend came up and asked them what they were up to. The girlfriend said she was just hanging out with her friend and she wanted to hang out with her for a little bit longer. The boyfriend became very upset and stormed away. The boyfriend and girlfriend met back up minutes later, each more heavily intoxicated than before.

The girlfriend said that she was going to make a quick phone call, and called her friend from the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity to pick her up and take her home. The boyfriend noticed the call and became angrier. He grabbed her arm and started walking quickly to the edge of the property with her belongings in his other hand. He swung her around and she tripped over a pile of rocks. He yelled, “Look, now you’re making a huge scene out of it.” He then grabbed her purse and swung it against a mailbox. The girl told him, “If you broke my phone, then you are buying me a new one.” He then picked the purse back up and told her, “Bitch, get the fuck off the property.” She stood up and said, “As soon as I get my purse back, I will.”

They stood face-to-face with each other and he pushed her to the ground and started screaming at her. There were student and police witnesses who saw her fall to the ground. Officers noticed a hint of alcohol intoxicants on both party’s breaths. Officers split up the two and arrested the boyfriend for assault on reasonable apprehension, domestic violence with intent to injure and domestic violence conduct — engaging in violent behavior. She informed the officers that she was OK, and that this was not the first time this had happened. She said there were two previous times, once right before Christmas and another two weeks ago at her apartment while they were alone. Police informed her about a protection order against him and the details on how to obtain one. The man was taken to the Pima County Jail.