“New gay, Asian fraternities secure campus recognition”

Two newly recognized fraternities will make their mark in Greek Life by increasing diversity.

Pi Alpha Phi and Delta Lambda Phi are eager to participate with the campus community after becoming official campus fraternities Tuesday, when they were recognized by the Interfraternity Council.

Organizations seek recognition by governing bodies because it brings many benefits, said Erik Dong, president of Pi Alpha Phi, an Asian-American fraternity.

“”It gives us an opportunity to work with the UA and (participate in) events such as Spring Fling, it helps out with rush (because of) the publicity and the pamphlets they hand out,”” Dong said

Dong said Pi Alpha Phi emphasizes brotherhood, leadership, philanthropy, academic excellence and Asian-American awareness. The fraternity has participated in a variety of events in the past, including Habitat for Humanity and a Christmas charity for kids.

The fraternity wants to organize an event called Jade Ribbon, which is put on by their national organization to create hepatitis awareness by participating in seminars, he said.

Christopher Newman, president of Delta Lambda Phi, a gay and bisexual fraternity, said members are re-founding their organization.

The fraternity was originally founded in 1991 but folded in 1993 due to “”internal conflicts.”” Newman said that the new fraternity has no connection to the previous organization, however.

Newman said all the members of Delta Lambda Phi plan and participate in events that are progressive-oriented. They have participated in Habitat for Humanity and the AIDS Walk, and plan to help homeless gay adolescents at the Rainbow House.

Delta Lambda Phi will be hosting a speed-dating fundraiser this weekend and all proceeds will go to Arizona Together, an organization whose focus is “”to protect the rights of unmarried couples,”” according to its Web site.

Newman said his fraternity has a lot to offer to the community.

“”(We will be) promoting ideals that aren’t typically found in the greek community so we’ll be breaking some barriers,”” he said.

Gary Ballinger, Greek Life program coordinator, said the new fraternities are a great addition to the campus organizations.

“”They help make our community more diverse, and they align us more closely to make us more reflective of the entire student body of the University of Arizona,”” Ballinger stated in an e-mail.