A beautiful beginning

When you open up your Arizona Daily Wildcat sports section, expect to find more than just the scores.

This semester, plan on getting more insight into the important issues of Arizona Athletics and more chances to see the athletes as people who double as your peers.

Nowhere will that be more apparent than in the redesigned page two of the sports section, called “”CatScratch.””

Expect a different short-and-snappy format every day of the week when you pick up the paper.

You’ll see old favorites in a condensed form every week, such as “”Pro/Con”” and “”Athlete of the Week,”” as well as new features like a “”Game of the Week”” segment in which we highlight one home game that fans absolutely must not miss.

This won’t always be the most high-profile game, like a men’s basketball or football game. Sometimes it’s a volleyball, soccer or cross country contest that you really should not miss.

You will see our expert predictions in “”Staff Picks”” and even a “”Hot or Not”” piece highlighting the highs and lows of the previous week.

Finally, we’ll feature a blog posting from the Wildcat’s WildBlog, coming soon to wildblog.arizona.edu.

The blogs will let our reporters give you more analysis than we have room for in print. It also lets us interact with you, our reader, through this dialogue and provides more in-depth coverage then you have seen in the past through immediate analysis live from contests home and away and eventually reporter chats.

The blog portion of the page two section will let us give you our opinions on topics outside our mainstream coverage.

As a student paper, the Wildcat has the natural advantage of being able to relate to the UA athletes better. We go to classes with them, interact with them around campus and at the Student Recreation Center and have the ability to form closer relationships with them than the older reporters at Tucson’s other daily papers do.

With the creation of a new page two and even more informative, innovative reporting, we plan on exploiting that advantage to give you the best coverage of Arizona Athletics in Tucson.